Gaming laptop spec choice - 2060, 2070 max q and chassis

Colshy B

Hi,

I was about to order a new gaming laptop. I've had a vortex for over 5 years and it's been great. However my scenario is now I want a new gaming laptop but I will be traveling a lot and carrying two laptops, so size / weight matters. When I am not traveling, it'll be lid closed hooked to a monitor.

So I was going to order this:

Chassis & Display
Recoil Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)

down_right_arrow.gif
Get Total War: Three Kingdoms & More w/ select Intel CPUs!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1

down_right_arrow.gif
Get Wolfenstein: Young Blood with select NVIDIA GeForce RTX GPUs!
1st Storage Drive
480GB ADATA SU650 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 450MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)

However, am I right in saying the 2060 is not max q and if so will run much hotter needing more power? The price jump is high to 2070 max-q and I thought not a big performance gain but maybe I could drop other items to compensate. I am also worried if it is too hot to touch with excessive fan noise with this card / chassis. Are these worries unfounded, should I go for 2070, or even another chassis?

Coming in at £1277.

Really appreciate any advice or thoughts.

Thanks
Colin

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The 2070 max-q offers such tiny gains in performance it is generally not worth it.

The TDP of the two is almost the same (funnily enough, almost the same performance for a very similar TDP!)

The Recoil is very capable at cooling, despite the fact it's a thinner chassis than many other models.

The storage choice is strange and tbh suboptimal. Just by a single, larger drive and 1) save the hassle of juggling things between drives and 2) keep expansion options open. A 1TB WD Black perhaps. Of if finances are limited, a 1TB SX6000.

Colshy B

Great thanks :)

I had suspicions the 2070 being max-q was not much better than 2060 but I might have went for it if it meant a significantly better cooling.

The two drives - I really want the Samsung EVO as I currently have a Samsung EVO SSD, and the reviews all seem to suggest they are the best by some way. However, the second drive was more just as a back up / storage drive in case 500Gb on the Evo got used up, and was since it was so cheap. I'll check how much more the 1TB Evo is.