Gaming Laptop

bitstuff

Hey guys, I'm going to buy a new gaming laptop from here for the first time in the next day or two. I intend to use it mainly for gaming. Probably not Crysis; :tt2: never got into that particular franchise.

Build below.

I am trying to keep the price below €1,800/£1,450. It's the CPU that I'm really on the fence about; thinking about going for the cheapest i5 instead of the i3 there. Anything better would push the price too high. I'm not sure what real difference a better CPU would make. Current cost is €1,757 or €1,797 with an i5.

Storage is sufficient for me at this point and I can always add more later.

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i3 Dual Core Mobile Processor i3-4000M (2.40GHz) 3MB

Memory (RAM)
16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780M - 4.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
240GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (€12)

Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N WI-FI CARD (150Mbps)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Don't go with the i3 or i5, you are getting a high end gpu don't compromise on the CPU. I would go with the i7-4700mq, you can save money by getting only 8gb ram and/or getting rid of the ssd for an Scorpio black.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
swap out thet 240GB drive for the intel 520 series one, great price on that at the moment. The rest of my thoughts are the same as what Keynes already said

bitstuff

Thanks for the advice. Very much appreciated.

Dropping to 8GM of RAM, going for the i7. If I get the Kingston 120GB SSD as the main drive for OS and other select things, and the 750GB Scorpio Black for everything else, I will still stay under €1,800.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Thanks for the advice. Very much appreciated.

Dropping to 8GM of RAM, going for the i7. If I get the Kingston 120GB SSD as the main drive for OS and other select things, and the 750GB Scorpio Black for everything else, I will still stay under €1,800.

That gives you a more balanced system.