Gaming Monitor

Pullaggro

Hi,

I'm going to be getting a PC setup later early next year which will include a 3080 in the setup so i'm currently prepping for it. At the moment I use a laptop with a RTX2070 and a very old monitor as my secondary monitor i.e. I game on the laptop screen which is a 144hz monitor (vortex series) and not the secondary monitor.

Eventually I will get 2 new monitors to replicate my current set up but on the new pc that i'll get so i'm prepping to have a 4k 144 hz setup. Note i'd only game on one monitor so the secondary monitor does not need to be that high end.

I've found this below: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-EL287...ywords=4k+144hz+monitor&qid=1600935838&sr=8-5

But I feel that it's incorrectly labelled? It says it's 4K 144hz but i'm guessing it's not as I saw some other posts in this forum saying 4K 144hz costs like £900.

Even if it's not, I feel like it would be fine to purchase as i'd just keep it as my secondary monitor, and it should be fine to utilise my current RTX 2070 until I get my pc next year?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated as I don't have much of a clue with monitors.

Many thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

I'm going to be getting a PC setup later early next year which will include a 3080 in the setup so i'm currently prepping for it. At the moment I use a laptop with a RTX2070 and a very old monitor as my secondary monitor i.e. I game on the laptop screen which is a 144hz monitor (vortex series) and not the secondary monitor.

Eventually I will get 2 new monitors to replicate my current set up but on the new pc that i'll get so i'm prepping to have a 4k 144 hz setup. Note i'd only game on one monitor so the secondary monitor does not need to be that high end.

I've found this below: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-EL287...ywords=4k+144hz+monitor&qid=1600935838&sr=8-5

But I feel that it's incorrectly labelled? It says it's 4K 144hz but i'm guessing it's not as I saw some other posts in this forum saying 4K 144hz costs like £900.

Even if it's not, I feel like it would be fine to purchase as i'd just keep it as my secondary monitor, and it should be fine to utilise my current RTX 2070 until I get my pc next year?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated as I don't have much of a clue with monitors.

Many thanks
Yeah, that’s 4k 60hz.

4k 144hz is a minimum of £750 for a very budget panel, but anything worthwhile is over £1000

2070 wouldn’t be able to run 4k 60.

Pullaggro

Yeah, that’s 4k 60hz.

4k 144hz is a minimum of £750 for a very budget panel, but anything worthwhile is over £1000

2070 wouldn’t be able to run 4k 60.

Ahh I see, I figured that was the case. When you say 'wouldn't be able to run', as in it just won't utilise the screens hardware to the fullest right? Basically i'm just checking if this is fine to purchase and use for now, in anticipation that it will be running as a secondary monitor with the 3080 which will utilise the 4K screen. In other words, this would still be a great screen to use my RTX 2070 on for gaming on in the time being?

Pullaggro

No, it’s not powerful enough to push 4k, it’s a 1440p card. You could reduce resolution to 1440p as a stop gap, but it won’t look pretty.

I see, so in that case my best option is to get a 1440p 144hz monitor, which would work fine as a secondary monitor on a 3080 card too since it won't be used for gaming. i.e. something like this?

Or this:

I don't mind going slightly higher end for this monitor as it would be the secondary monitor on my 3080 build.

Thanks again

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I see, so in that case my best option is to get a 1440p 144hz monitor, which would work fine as a secondary monitor on a 3080 card too since it won't be used for gaming. i.e. something like this?

Or this:

I don't mind going slightly higher end for this monitor as it would be the secondary monitor on my 3080 build.

Thanks again
It’s up to you. Bear in mind, none of the features like hz or freesync or anything will be used when it’s a secondary display.