Gaming Mouse

RichH

Gold Level Poster
My 15 year old son is after a decent gaming mouse and is looking to spend around £75 plus or minus a bit.

However, I know from experience, that there's nothing like getting your hand on one first to see how it fits before handing over any money. Also, I'm not sure most companies exchange policy covers " I didn't like the feel of it"

So, could someone :

a) recommend a robust, reasonably priced product

b) suggest any retail outlets that is like to stock gaming products so we can test before we buy ( prefer merseyside/cheshire area )

We also bought him an alienware keyboard for xmas, which he loves and I'm looking to get one as well, however the company we got it from uses Yodel :( and we as expected, we had major issues with delivery etc.

So again, could anyone suggest an alternative source for the keyboard.

Cheers

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'd suggest a raxer deathadder mouse, clicky for info, awesome mouse, had mine for years now,

I'd have a look on the high streets to get the feel, but i'd buy offline or from PCS if you already have ordered a pc from them.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
they offer gaming mice and keyboards in anywhere like PCWorld, Maplins etc, i recommend going in there first and having a look

you could get it from anywhere such as amazon, aria, scan, dabs they should all do that keyboard but personally i find alienware stuff very overpriced so you probably aren't getting the most you can for your money, i recommend Razer stuff myself they are all great build quality with plenty of features. I have the Arctosa, which for £39 (when i got it) is an absolute bargain. Then there is logitech who also make great keyboards and mice and are also very good value. My mouse, is worth around £40-50 and its got everything
its got a really good laser control thing
4 sensitivity settings
5 modes which are customizable via the software provided on a disc (all different things can be changed
with those 5 modes it also changes colour on each settings, so you can set that to whatever you think it best
it also has 2 macro keys on the left hand side which are automatically set to forward/back on an internet browser but can be changed in game easily, i use it for prone/reload on bf3 and it certainly helps
the mouse is also very comfortable (im also 15 and don't have huge hands) but this fits perfectly in my hand and is much more comfortable than slimmer mice
It also has customizable weights on the mouse (from 0-35g extra) and that also makes a difference
and last of all the mouse looks great

a link to the mouse
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-M8...IZMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330182253&sr=8-1

carljt24

PC World(and currys megastores) have all there gaming keyboards and mice out on display so you can see and feel which mouse would be best for you.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Logitech G700 is absolutely epic. I've never had a mouse like it and since it's your son, a bloke, don't go for the tiny Razer products (Too small unless he plays with claw style)

I know exactly what you mean about trying one before buying, but sadly PCworld and other UK PC shops only have a shelf about 30cm wide with gaming gear since it's a console based country. I was personally forced to simply buy a mouse on the internet and hope for the best, and I was very pleased with my G700.
If you buy it from amazon it's currently on at sale prices.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003U53Y...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B003U53Y9Q

Last edited:

RichH

Gold Level Poster
Cheers guys.

Will have a look at the G700 thanks, looks to be exactly what hes after. Will probably just have to order and hope I think.

tried looking on maplins, pcworld etc but nowadays, they seem to only stock mainstream stuff and not gaming gear ( at least in liverpool )

would tend to agree mostly that alienware stuff is overpriced, but the keyboard is just as good if not better than my current g15 so am pretty set on that, just dont want to order from amazon as they use Yodel !

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
in my opinion, those RAT mice are the most comfortable mouse you will find ever, for me anyway

cant really shed any light on the keyboard though

MeveM

Bright Spark
Don't go for the Cyborg keyboards, PCworld stock them, they look great on picture but they're made from a horrible cheap plastic. It feels really cheap in the shop. I was looking at it as well but after trying the keys in pcworld I wouldn't use it if it was free. As for the R.A.T mouse, that was my 2nd option when I went for it, my only complaint about it was that if you adjust the palm rest and pull it backwards the mouse becomes unstable as the centre point for the mouse is in the center when the mouse is unadjusted, it didn't feel as if I could properly rest my palm on the mouse for that reason without it tipping backwards, other then that it was a very comfortable mouse.

Last edited:

Sie

Gold Level Poster
What RAT you using ?

and i would recommend the RAT 9, its a lovely piece of kit and well worth every penny in my opinion, bought it just before Christmas and not regretted paying the high price for it!

As for what you asked Rich, the RAT 9 atleast (since its what i own) is really comfortable, it comes with 2 batteries and a charging station (also the receiver) and the goodies to customize it, i myself went with the pinky rest that sticks out, and its so comfortable, not had any cramps in my hand when doing a long gaming session either :D

if you do with with a RAT heres a tip - the Allen key is what holds the weights in place :)
so many reviews complain about the lack of an allen key to customize the mouse but some people dont look hard enough, and if your a FPS person the precision button is a nice novelty, aswell as the on the fly DPI change button.

Last edited:

JSG10

Expert
Another vote for the Gigabyte M8000X Ghost here, fantastic mouse. Wouldn't have even thought about it if I hadn't won one but so glad I did! It really is great :) Retails around £40 so cheaper than a lot of Razer mice but I can't fault it at all.

Tracker

Enthusiast
Going to pitch in for Deathadder's here, I got one with my very first pc well over 8 years ago, and whilst i retired it from "gaming" about 3 years ago, I still put it to use in the office, on the fly sensitivity, macros, and it's very comfortable for larger hands whilst keeping the "looks" of the brand, you can get them around £40 or so nowadays so price isn't all that expensive.

I liked my first mouse so much that I even got a second one for home.. which i use for anything except MMORPG games ( where the lack of buttons means I'll switch out to a dedicated MMO mouse).

it's Durable, Razer is a very well known brand, it won't break the bank and you can't fault the accuracy / useability of the mouse, main thing to be wary of is that it does like a hard surface to work on as opposed to a typical cloth mat, but even on a cloth it's pretty solid, and it's a very all around mouse, it'll do just about everything pretty spectacularly ( and again, it's only on MMO's where you want an extra 9 buttons on it that you might want to consider), My dad also often will use it to do graphics work / design (much to my chagrin.. he ought to get his own! xD).

other mice i've used are the Sidewinder X5, a much cheaper and cheerful option from microsoft at around £25, slightly smaller but it's shaped to fit your hand very snugly, and has on the fly aswell via 3 centre buttons, again very sturdy product, but it is a slightly smaller mouse.

One brand to avoid (IMO) is Sharkoon, these are very cheap, and can be problematic, the laser doesn't track very well and the extra buttons are rather cramped and not spaced out particularly well.

RichH

Gold Level Poster
Thanks all for the input all, decide to get a RAT and went for the MMO7 version which apparently has 78 programmable functions for the buttons, although sometimes I have enough problems with just 3.

Had a slight change of plan as although it was my son that wanted a mouse...I just couldn't resist ! If all goes well he's looking at getting one as well :)