Gaming PC advice

markyb

So I'm after a high end gaming PC which will hopefully last me a good while, It's also with a view to do uni work - So any tips on anything I should consider changing would be a plus - I'm hoping to go for something that's not going to make excessive noise, as i'm sure concentrating whilst sounding like i'm in a wind tunnel will be distracting! So was wondering whether the case i've chosen should be good enough? I've also considered the maelstrom T900 (It may sound sad but having the LED's looks too good to pass up!) Also any tips on the power supply and the cooling fans appreciated! Here's what i've chosen so far:

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE (£82)
Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X6 1090T (3.20GHz/9MB CACHE/AM3/) - BLACK EDITION
Motherboard
ASUS® M4N98TD EVO: DDR3, 2-Way SLI, SATA 3.0GB/s
Memory (RAM)
8GB CORSAIR XMS3 DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (4 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card
NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
2TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
RAID (HDD 1 & 2)
NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
10x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£98)
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NONE
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 850W PSU (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£100)
Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£62)
Sound Card
Sound Blaster® Audigy™ SE (£25)
Network Facilities
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD (£16)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums markyb :)

You've selected a great gaming PC there, but it's not going to be the quietest of PC's to be honest!

The CoolIT Eco will keep the CPU cool and quiet but Nvidia GTX480 cards run hot and will make a bit of noise when the fans kick in during gameplay. It's a catch 22 situation, because you want the best performance, but without the noise. Perhaps try a Radeon 5870 1GB - this will run quieter and the performance is very similar.

Regarding the Maelstron T900 - it's a very popular case, as is the Haf 922. This is all down to your personal preference. :)

Matt

Bright Spark

You've selected a great gaming PC there, but it's not going to be the quietest of PC's to be honest!

The CoolIT Eco will keep the CPU cool and quiet but Nvidia GTX480 cards run hot and will make a bit of noise when the fans kick in during gameplay. It's a catch 22 situation, because you want the best performance, but without the noise. Perhaps try a Radeon 5870 1GB - this will run quieter and the performance is very similar.

Regarding the Maelstron T900 - it's a very popular case, as is the Haf 922. This is all down to your personal preference. :)

Good advice.

HMFC_Riley

Enthusiast

Should be fine then... He shouldn't be playing games while studying! :p

Says the guy where Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft have almost consistently made me nearly fail exams...

markyb

Thanks for the advice! Yeah as Riley says i'm not so bothered about the noise during gameplay (hoping my new speakers will drown that out :p) I'm just curious to what the noise levels will be while it's idle, i understand its not going to be 100% quiet.. from some research ive done it sounds like the 5870 will do the job.. But im now curious about the 5970!

Sleinous

Author Level
Thanks for the advice! Yeah as Riley says i'm not so bothered about the noise during gameplay (hoping my new speakers will drown that out :p) I'm just curious to what the noise levels will be while it's idle, i understand its not going to be 100% quiet.. from some research ive done it sounds like the 5870 will do the job.. But im now curious about the 5970!

When it's idle itll be quiet, trust me, mine is :p only difference is im using an i7 and a HAF 932, and a 470 instead of a 480, but when a card is idle, its idle, whatever performance it is :p If you;re working on Word or something, youw ont be bothered by it.

Even when i'm folding it doesn't bother me :)

Matt

Bright Spark
Nice choice Marky, let us know what its like, the 5970 is the card i always dreamed about as a kid lol.

Last edited: