Gaming PC for around £800

pazzer

Looking to get a new gaming pc along with a monitor. Am not up on pc parts so have been looking at the review pcs and it seems like the Apollo R1 will meet my needs. But I'm not sure what monitor to add or if that's the best bang for my buck.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's a tricky budget as you're probably a bit under the sweet spot.

The Apollo packs slow RAM, and an A320 motherboard - which will not support Zen 2 CPUs it's just been confirmed. Whereas B450 would. You'll end up wanting to replace the RAM with 16gb faster RAM, which is less cost effective than just buying that outright. The 450W PSU could limit choice of future GPU upgrades, etc.

It's a fair spec for what it is, but if it were possible I'd have suggested getting a bit better base platform.

In terms of a monitor, the AOC G2460VQ6 is worth looking at. £130 so a bit over budget in total even with the Apollo, but it has an extremely good freesync range.

jjpo

You might be able to salvage a monitor lying around and reinvest the savings back into the PC for a better deal. For £5 you can get converters off Amazon that let VGA monitors (thinking era ~2007) interface with DisplayPort outputs on modern graphics cards, allowing up to 1080 pixel resolutions at 60 hz.

Even if you don't have one lying around, if you look on gumtree/ebay you're sure to find someone practically giving away one of these types of monitors.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
That's an interesting idea, but there are a couple of issues:

1) The Apollo is a review spec meaning it carries an built-in discount, so only saving a little cash isn't much help. Because configuring a spec manually automatically costs more, and will itself eat up most of the savings before you get around to actually buying a better CPU, mobo, and RAM.

2) They might as well get a half decent monitor than a cheap 1080p 60hz one, since it will delay any need to upgrade for a while. Also adaptive sync goes a long way in smoothing out gameplay, including for gaming situations where no/ almost no amount of money can bring the framerate upto 60 all the time.

I like the suggestion though and it makes me wonder, could Pazzer use a 1080p TV as a monitor for the time being, eliminating all costs of a monitor entirely and letting £800 go purely on the PC? They could then buy a monitor at their leisure,

pazzer

Wasn't aware you could get converters. Makes alot of sense to do that so can spend more on the pc and get monitor at a later date.