Gaming PC/General IT related tasks.

Case
PCS SPECTRUM RGB MID TOWER CASE. (I was going to go for the corsair spec-delta, but I have seen that it's airflow is quite not good. I'm not a big fan of this case's flashy RGB looks, although I assume the RGB can be toned down to a less obnoxious set of colors.)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
ASUS® TUF X470-PLUS GAMING (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 SUPER - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED

Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100x Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (Yes I do intend to overclock the 3600.)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Firefox™
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 12 to 14 working days
-----------------------
This spec looks good enough for me and what I want, which is a good 144hz 1080p gaming machine, and enough CPU horsepower to do some light video editing, some light CAD, just general IT tasks whenever they arise.
You guys have more experience than me, what should I change/add?
Budget is preferably £1250, although £1500 is the maximum. This build is £1252.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I have seen that it's airflow is quite not good. I'm not a big fan of this case's flashy RGB looks, although I assume the RGB can be toned down to a less obnoxious set of colors
Consider the Fractal Focus G. Which is a very solid budget case, and has plain white LED fans.

The spec looks good. The 2060 Super is, I would say, overkill for 1080p gaming versus the 2060.

if you're interested in The Outer Worlds or Borderlands 3, upgrade to the 3600x. The 3600x isn't normally worth it, but it comes bundled with a choice of those 2 games, so if they're on your radar, why not.

If you've not already, look into guides for overclocking Ryzen 3000. There's very little headroom, and some overclocking methods can actually reduce performance.

Honestly the only reason I'm getting the 2060 Super is it will add perhaps a year or so onto the lifespan of my PC without having to upgrade. (Plus, I'm fairly certain it can push 60hz 1440p at medium/high. So, if I ever decide to upgrade monitor, I dont have to worry) and, my budget allows, and my preferred spendature is around 1250-1300 and downgrading to the RTX 2060 puts the total cost to £1190~. I guess I could put more money into other components, but there's literally no component that stands out as a possible bottleneck.

And, as for overclocking, honestly I just want to be able to get @ 4.2GHz on all cores.

I have looked into the Fractal Focus G as you suggested, but I've decided to go with a more expensive price bracket in terms of cases. Given my components I do not want to choke them out with crap airflow, I want them to stay cool and perform as needed for the longest time possible.

Considering the factors, I went with the Coolermaster Masterbox MB530P. I like the sharp edges and design, reviews say it has good airflow, and it has addressable RGB so I can put the fans/internal LED's to a solid white.

Thank you for your time responding to this anyway my man!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
That case is a solid choice

The RTX 2060 (non super) can push 1440p at ~very high. I generally advocate against buying a GPU more powerful than needed on the off-chance of maybe possibly potentially someday upgrading the monitor. As by the time that rolls around a more powerful GPU, with support fot new hardware features will probably be desirable anyway. Also the 2060 Super is ~10% faster than a 2060 non super. So by the time the 2060 struggles with games, the 2060 Super won't be far behind. The extra VRAM's a non issue too especially for 1080p.

The price difference is only £50, so it's not as clear cut as with some other choices, but it is definitely overkill for 1080p.

You might consider getting a 1440p monitor in the near future though to make the most of iyour 2060 Super Having recently gone from 1080p to 1440p myself (with a 2060 non super as it happens) I can recommend it :)

And, as for overclocking, honestly I just want to be able to get @ 4.2GHz on all cores.
I haven't looked into it but it's my understanding it would be better to OC so that some cores boost higher than others, above 4.2GHz, as that's what'll do the most for gaming performance. It's not like Intel CPUs where you just slap 5GHz on all cores and off you go.