gaming rig?

andrew b

hiya. i am wondering what folks think of the following spec for a gaming rig, and how it would stand up to ~progress~ in the next few years. advice is appreciated if there are any issues that might occur with the spec, though it is already as much as i can afford at £900 (i.e. changes to the spec or possible upgrades when cash flow allows?) :D

Case
COOLERMASTER ELITE 430 BLACK CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570 (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z77-M: MICRO-ATX, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1866MHz X.M.P(2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
2GB AMD RADEON™ HD7870 - DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON V+200 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (535MB/R, 460MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER (£19)
Extra Case Fans
1 x 12CM Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof) (£5)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
2 x HomePlug 200Mbps - Turn any Electrical Socket into a Network (£38)
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi,
You could change the motherboard to the P8Z77-V LX I think it is cheaper and has more expansion slots, an SSD is not essential and you could get a caviar black instead as the main drive or upgrade your case. There is also no noticeable difference with higher memory bandwidth so either 1333mhz or 1600mhz will be fine.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I would downgrade the ram to the standard 1333 or 1600mhz as it won't make a huge difference while gaming and may save a few quid. Personally I would scrap the SSD and purely get a Caviar black drive. SSD's mainly improve boot times and loading times for games but that's about it. A Caviar Black still performs very highly, plus you could use the money from not having a SSD to upgrade the GPU to a 660Ti or a 670. It may also be worth upgrading the motherboard to one that supports SLI if you choose to do this although you would have to upgrade the PSU to a 750w corsair if you want to add the 2nd graphics card in the future to improve performance. My build cost £1000 and is pretty much what I've just explained and performs brilliantly. As soon as it starts to slow down in 3 or 4 years I'll probably just add a second gtx 670 if it will help.

andrew b

following the advice regarding the motherboard, RAM and SSD bring it down to 877, which is nice, though i cannot upgrade the GPU or get the SLI supporting without going above budget. it does get me a little extra change to play with for peripherals though, so thanks for the advice :)

this revised outfit should still be quite versatile as far as upgrading parts goes, as i understand things?