Gaming set-up

Tallpaulos

Enthusiast
Hi all,

What with me trying to get better at FPSs on the PC, I thought Id ask about peoples gaming set-up, and describe my own, in the hope someone can suggest something.

I'm left handed & play on a laptop. Use a Steelseries Diablo III Gaming Mouse in my left hand. Use a Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad in my right hand. I know this is weird but I've tried switching hands an I can't hit a barn door with the mouse in my right hand.

I know for FPSs you are supposed to go low sensitivity on the mouse, with acceleration off, and no V-sync. I'm trying to get used to this but I'm finding it hard and it takes me 3 weeks to do a 180 spin. For something like CS:GO do you use the crouch and walk buttons much? This makes aiming loads easier but it's a bit of a faff. Or do the best players not do this?

Last question, do you limit the framerate to 30 or 60 FPS +/- 1 depending on screen refresh rate??? Possibly reducing screen resolution (I don't like this one).

What do you use? I want to get this right from the start so as not to pick up bad habits. I like to think I'll be a half-descent player with a bit of practice with the PC controls....let me know if the above info is b*llocks!

Scotch

Gold Level Poster
Hello mate.

I'm not the best i have my good days and bad but i do play with an ex proffessional cs 1.6 player who is absoluetly brilliant, usually 4-1 most competitve matchs. I also play with a proffessional CS GO female player and she is well brilliant aswell.

They adviced me to have sensitivity down to 1.95 or even lower it just matters on the DPI of the mouse i used to paly high DPI and 6 sensitivity and lowered it took me a while but i understand why they use it. Crouching and walking is essential not really for aiming but sound. Sound is thee most important aspect, if you walk they cant hear your feet and what direction you are in so walk is always good if you are not too sure where an enemy is.

FPS wise i just let mine go as high as it wants. I dont know why you would limit yourself.

If you are starting to use right hand good habit is practice headshots.
D Eagle headshots are good to start with then use AK or M4 then move on trying to do headshots longer distant.
Because you'll see bad players aim for body good players like these two aim for head, they just go in and try for headshot and most likely win.

Aswell you play on laptop aswell as i from mon-fri i cant adjust with 1980x1020 res on 15inch monitor i lower my res. When i paly on my monitor at home that is 24inchs and 1980x1020 res its fine.

Just keep playing on same sensitivity after practicing for a while on it too see what you like because i have problem on 2 pc's different sensitivitys and res so makes really hard to adjust for me.

I dont think i have pu all information here as ill end up forgetting but any queries just ask mate :)

sted

Rising Star
I would have thought a highish sensitivity would be advantageous in aiming toward a target more quick.. But then I have so little experience on FPS's on PC anyway..

If you're not used to using a laptop it will take a while to get used to gaming on it, even more so with an FPS.

As for crouching at whatnot, from what I've seen a lot of the better players do utilise it, I'd go as far as saying they utilise every action they can in the chance of gaining an advantage over the opposition, including jumping I've noticed with a few. But take note, certain things like jumping just aren't for some people (I'm one of those people) to gain advantages and sometimes work to get you killed more easily if not done right.

Tallpaulos

Enthusiast
Nah, the issue is high sensitivity results in poor accuracy. The lower the sensitivity, the easier it is to aim where you want. But you end up moving your arm around like crazy!

I've done a bit of gaming on my current laptop for years, but I kept the FPSs for the xbox. Which now look terrible - just been playing Crysis 3 beta on the xbox, graphics are poo.

Last edited:

Tallpaulos

Enthusiast
Hello mate.

I'm not the best i have my good days and bad but i do play with an ex proffessional cs 1.6 player who is absoluetly brilliant, usually 4-1 most competitve matchs. I also play with a proffessional CS GO female player and she is well brilliant aswell.

They adviced me to have sensitivity down to 1.95 or even lower it just matters on the DPI of the mouse i used to paly high DPI and 6 sensitivity and lowered it took me a while but i understand why they use it. Crouching and walking is essential not really for aiming but sound. Sound is thee most important aspect, if you walk they cant hear your feet and what direction you are in so walk is always good if you are not too sure where an enemy is.

FPS wise i just let mine go as high as it wants. I dont know why you would limit yourself.

If you are starting to use right hand good habit is practice headshots.
D Eagle headshots are good to start with then use AK or M4 then move on trying to do headshots longer distant.
Because you'll see bad players aim for body good players like these two aim for head, they just go in and try for headshot and most likely win.

Aswell you play on laptop aswell as i from mon-fri i cant adjust with 1980x1020 res on 15inch monitor i lower my res. When i paly on my monitor at home that is 24inchs and 1980x1020 res its fine.

Just keep playing on same sensitivity after practicing for a while on it too see what you like because i have problem on 2 pc's different sensitivitys and res so makes really hard to adjust for me.

I dont think i have pu all information here as ill end up forgetting but any queries just ask mate :)

Yeah at present I have dpi at max on the mouse (which is like 6000dpi or something silly), then low in-game sensitivity. I have no idea what the best is. I was thinking that I might need to be going for headshots more, I have been getting insta-killed alot on CS:GO...

sted

Rising Star
Bsrz, you are a saint. I plan to get BF3 and possibly 4 on its release when I finally buy my rig and I probably need more help with aiming on FPS's than anyone in the world, ever. xD

Thanks!

lewishollings

Bright Spark
Hmm well it isn't actually true that you should use a low sensitivity, my sensitivity is fairly high tbh, but yes, crouching in CS is actually very important for me, what would also help is to take a look at the recoil pattern, with the AK it's best to twitch fire and if you do go fully auto aim at there feet :p and I always have my games on full resolution, I always have my games 60+ if poss though... like call of duty 4 I run on a constant 250 because it's possible.