General build questions

edgetrading

Bronze Level Poster
I received my new PCS machine yesterday.

It has (sorry, but I can't seem to find post spec to forums for my completed order):

- 3950X CPU
- Asus TUF B550
- Noctua U14S CPU cooler
- Meshify C case.

I have installed Ubunto 20.04 on it.

The Noctua fans have a reputation for being quiet. Or if the sounds are loud, then they aren't annoying and are of low tone. That is a consistent feature of all reviews.

Problem 1: In the bios, when experimenting with the fan settings, I set the CPU fan speed to 100%. It is louder, as expected. But it isn't a loud consistent hum. It has some sort of pulsating/oscillating rattle/buzz as well. It takes a second or two to go through each cycle. Is this expected? Given all the reviews that I've seen, I was not expecting any sort of rattle/buzz pulsating noise. My old PC does not have any sort of buzzing or rattling when the fans hit 100%

Problem 2: When idle in Ubuntu, the CPU fan keeps speeding up and down. I can hear it speeding up and down, every few seconds, which is annoying as during a particular speed it produces a slightly high-pitched wine. During this time, using `sensors`, I see the CPU temperature go from around 33C to 52C and back. So I suppose the CPU fan is responding to the CPU temperature. However, the computer is not really doing anything at that point. So I would expect it to have more consistent behaviour.

I went into the BIOS and let it automatically optimise the fans. Using that setting did not really help.

I also tried silent mode. It sounded really quiet during silent mode,but the fan still revved up and down every few seconds.

What could I try to resolve these problems?

edgetrading

Bronze Level Poster
Can I undervolt my computer? It has an Asus B550 motherboard. If I do that will it affect the warranty from PCS?

The reason I ask is because it's supposed to lower temps. Today my computer has been running hotter due to ambient temperature. It was fine last night in the evening. But today the CPU temps are all over the place (a feature of Ryzen CPUs when under load), which means fans keen changing speed, which is annoying.

Just for more info, during the day, the CPU doesn't go under load. It only starts to work hard a few times in the evening. So the fluctuating temperatures I'm experiencing during the hot day are when the CPU is idle.

If I can undervolt it, are there any guides on doing it on an Asus B550?