General questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmaraippo

Bronze Level Poster
I’d only be concerned if I was regularly dipping into the nineties.

But it’s all relative, if you have a case with obstructed airflow and a subpar cooling solution all the components are going to get hot and toasty. If you want to post your full build spec we can cast an eye over it and advise accordingly 🙂👍
Sure thing!

Case COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE H500M GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardGigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX (USB 3.2 Gen 1, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Your case is fine, as is your cooler. But I’d suggest upgrading your motherboard to the ROG Strix X570, the Gigabyte is really poor by comparison and the Strix has much better VRM and heat sinks to manage the CPU. You can also drop the MX-4 thermal paste as the H115i comes with high quality paste pre-applied. If you have change to spare, upping the Samsung 970 to the 980 gets you an ultrafast primary drive (I’m assuming you’ve got your own drives to add in when it arrives).

bigmaraippo

Bronze Level Poster
Your case is fine, as is your cooler. But I’d suggest upgrading your motherboard to the ROG Strix X570, the Gigabyte is really poor by comparison and the Strix has much better VRM and heat sinks to manage the CPU. You can also drop the MX-4 thermal paste as the H115i comes with high quality paste pre-applied. If you have change to spare, upping the Samsung 970 to the 980 gets you an ultrafast primary drive (I’m assuming you’ve got your own drives to add in when it arrives).
Should I add any extra fans?

bigmaraippo

Bronze Level Poster
I’d only be concerned if I was regularly dipping into the nineties.

But it’s all relative, if you have a case with obstructed airflow and a subpar cooling solution all the components are going to get hot and toasty. If you want to post your full build spec we can cast an eye over it and advise accordingly 🙂👍
I could potentially amend the order yet again and go for the ASUS 3090, for the sake of lower temps..What do you think? Specifically for long term.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I could potentially amend the order yet again and go for the ASUS 3090, for the sake of lower temps..What do you think? Specifically for long term.
I’d never order a GPU with the thought of long term or future proofing, it’s always the first thing that gets replaced in a build as a newer model comes out. And for the minor performance gain Strix over standard gets you, the outlay just doesn’t seem worth it.

What are you actually using your system for, out of curiosity?

bigmaraippo

Bronze Level Poster
I’d never order a GPU with the thought of long term or future proofing, it’s always the first thing that gets replaced in a build as a newer model comes out. And for the minor performance gain Strix over standard gets you, the outlay just doesn’t seem worth it.

What are you actually using your system for, out of curiosity?
Aside from regular pc usage, I produce and compose music at a little studio, as well as being an everyday gamer.

The thing is I am worried about is the temps from the Zotac 3090, especially in comparison to the Asus 3090.

I am only looking at the two in comparison to the temperatures, I will never overclock!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Aside from regular pc usage, I produce and compose music at a little studio, as well as being an everyday gamer.

The thing is I am worried about is the temps from the Zotac 3090, especially in comparison to the Asus 3090.

I am only looking at the two in comparison to the temperatures, I will never overclock!
And what worries you about the Zotac temps? How do you think that will affect the build?

What are you ordering the 3090 for anyway? What monitor are you pairing it with?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That it is almost reaching the 80s!

Please correct me if im out of line..but I was always told thats dangerous waters to begin with
But what makes you think there's anything wrong with that? Where are you getting this information? The target temperature of the 3090 is 84c, so that's what it's designed to run at optimally. GPU's are not the same as CPU's at all, completely different beast.

But again, why are you looking at a 3090 in the first place, none of the uses you state would require it? It's not a gaming card.

I think you're complicating issues and by not understanding components you're drastically overshooting.

If you give us a budget, monitor you're pairing it with (make and model) and the software packages you're using, we can suggest something appropriate.

SiAdams

Please correct me if im out of line..but I was always told thats dangerous waters to begin with
I have a 3080 Zotac and it’s hitting 60 degrees max even in this heat! It’s been a great card so far. I know you are going for the 3090 but in terms of the brand I’ve had no issues.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

As per @SpyderTracks, where does this info come from? I’m a fairly seasoned PC owner these days so I’m going off a fair few years of real world experience and as I said earlier, dipping into and staying in the ninety degree arena might be a cause for concern. Eighty degrees wouldn’t make me raise an eyebrow in the slightest.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
As per @SpyderTracks, where does this info come from? I’m a fairly seasoned PC owner these days so I’m going off a fair few years of real world experience and as I said earlier, dipping into and staying in the ninety degree arena might be a cause for concern. Eighty degrees wouldn’t make me raise an eyebrow in the slightest.
It's also the fact that each generation has different thermal properties, so there is no over 80 is bad, it changes from one generation to the next.

But there's absolutely no issues with the 3000 series in the low 80's, that's completely expected. Anything under 80 is a bonus.

bigmaraippo

Bronze Level Poster
I have a 3080 Zotac and it’s hitting 60 degrees max even in this heat! It’s been a great card so far. I know you are going for the 3090 but in terms of the brand I’ve had no issues.
Can I ask what you are doing with it? I have read countless people online that its in the 70s!

bigmaraippo

Bronze Level Poster
It's also the fact that each generation has different thermal properties, so there is no over 80 is bad, it changes from one generation to the next.

But there's absolutely no issues with the 3000 series in the low 80's, that's completely expected. Anything under 80 is a bonus.
I mean majority of the people I know who are PC fanatics all emphasise 80 is not a good area to be in, no matter if it is gaming, producing etc.

bigmaraippo

Bronze Level Poster
Regarding amending the motherboard, I would change it however my studio is based around USB C connectivity and the ASUS version isnt compatible with it!

SiAdams

Can I ask what you are doing with it? I have read countless people online that its in the 70s!
Sure! Just gaming at the min. Tonight 2 hours on resident evil thr village. Graphics maxed out using up about 9gig vram. Plus my room temperature was about 25 degrees due to the weather. I’m really impressed with the card. Maybe others are gaming for a lot longer. I don’t have a lot of spare time unfortunately

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I mean majority of the people I know who are PC fanatics all emphasise 80 is not a good area to be in, no matter if it is gaming, producing etc.
That's not accurate. As I said, each GPU has a target temperature that's set by nVidia in the reference design. So long as it's at or under that, performance and life durability is exactly the same until you factor in overclocking.

I'm guessing your gamer friends are overclocking which is a very different scenario.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
There’s a genuinely wide cross section of PC enthusiasts on here with a huge range of experience in their respective fields, I hear their opinions on a daily basis as we all talk and share tech advice and issues with each other. I don’t know who your fanatic friends are but I trust the people here, many of whom are experts at what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.