General questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmaraippo

Bronze Level Poster
What's your reason for considering the 3080ti or 3090 though? What monitor are you pairing it with?
Otherthan being an everyday gamer for a few hours a day. I record and make music just as much.

I know you'll say this is way over the top however I thought since this is my first ever pc I thought why not..

@AgentCooper In regards to the motherboard in my build. I would like to amend it to the ASUS X570 however it doesnt have USB C compatibility so im out of luck..Would an USB C adapter be suitable in this case scenario?

*EDIT: @SpyderTracks ; I will be using the Samsung Q80T QLED TV.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Otherthan being an everyday gamer for a few hours a day. I record and make music just as much.

I know you'll say this is way over the top however I thought since this is my first ever pc I thought why not..

In regards to the motherboard in my build. I would like to amend it to the ASUS X570 however it doesnt have USB C compatibility so im out of luck..Would an USB C adapter be suitable in this case scenario?

*EDIT: @SpyderTracks ; I will be using the Samsung Q80T QLED TV.
Ok, that's a 60Hz screen, so the 3070ti would even be overpowered for it, there'd be absolutely no benefit to a 3080 or upwards.

I think you're missing how computers work. It's not the case that MOAR = BETTERER or somehow increases the longevity of the PC, that's not how it works.

It's like an audio system or a car or any system of multiple components. They have to match throughout the system, otherwise you get bottlenecks.

Slapping in a 3080ti to that system wouldn't give you any benefit whatsovever over using a 3070 even, it would be exactly the same because the screen would bottleneck any more availability from the GPU.

You've admitted this is your first PC, and not to be harsh, but it's clear you're not familiar with PC hardware. A lot of guys on here know an awful lot about configuring a balanced PC.

It's impossible to advise on individual components because it doesn't mean anything inside the system as a whole, they all have to balance together, so are all inter related.

What's your max budget?

bigmaraippo

Bronze Level Poster
Ok, that's a 60Hz screen, so the 3070ti would even be overpowered for it, there'd be absolutely no benefit to a 3080 or upwards.

I think you're missing how computers work. It's not the case that MOAR = BETTERER or somehow increases the longevity of the PC, that's not how it works.

It's like an audio system or a car or any system of multiple components. They have to match throughout the system, otherwise you get bottlenecks.

Slapping in a 3080ti to that system wouldn't give you any benefit whatsovever over using a 3070 even, it would be exactly the same because the screen would bottleneck any more availability from the GPU.

You've admitted this is your first PC, and not to be harsh, but it's clear you're not familiar with PC hardware. A lot of guys on here know an awful lot about configuring a balanced PC.

It's impossible to advise on individual components because it doesn't mean anything inside the system as a whole, they all have to balance together, so are all inter related.

What's your max budget?

The 49inch is only 60hz but the sizes 55 and above are all up to 120hz 4k resolutions!

To be honest I am happy with the build so far, regarding the motherboard would you agree to go for the ASUS X570 version rather than the Gigabyte?

I know I am jumping ship in many ways..

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
To be honest I am happy with the build so far, regarding the motherboard would you agree to go for the ASUS X570 version rather than the Gigabyte?
As I said, impossible to say without knowing the rest of the build.

But if you're factoring in Audio stuff, then you want B550 Strix, and a suitable processor.

I can't stress enough, it's worth getting advice.

bigmaraippo

Bronze Level Poster
As I said, impossible to say without knowing the rest of the build.

But if you're factoring in Audio stuff, then you want B550 Strix, and a suitable processor.

I can't stress enough, it's worth getting advice.

My apologies I thought I had posted the build earlier!

CaseCOOLERMASTER MASTERCASE H500M GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardGigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX (USB 3.2 Gen 1, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 Ti - HDMI, DP
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options2 PORT (1 x TYPE A, 1 x TYPE C) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS

Just to note* I have a Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB at home I might use hence the little space added here.

I will be gaming just as much as music and I have been producing thus far on my MBP!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My apologies I thought I had posted the build earlier!

CaseCOOLERMASTER MASTERCASE H500M GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardGigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX (USB 3.2 Gen 1, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 Ti - HDMI, DP
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options2 PORT (1 x TYPE A, 1 x TYPE C) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS

Just to note* I have a Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB at home I might use hence the little space added here.

I will be gaming just as much as music and I have been producing thus far on my MBP!
So what TV size do you have?

And can you post the full specs please?

bigmaraippo

Bronze Level Poster
Your case is fine, as is your cooler. But I’d suggest upgrading your motherboard to the ROG Strix X570, the Gigabyte is really poor by comparison and the Strix has much better VRM and heat sinks to manage the CPU. You can also drop the MX-4 thermal paste as the H115i comes with high quality paste pre-applied. If you have change to spare, upping the Samsung 970 to the 980 gets you an ultrafast primary drive (I’m assuming you’ve got your own drives to add in when it arrives).

Could you please go into more detail regarding this?

Bare in mind I have no interest overclocking.

bigmaraippo

Bronze Level Poster
@SpyderTracks

Sorry to bombard you again with two questions..

- Since the Asus 3090 has better components than the Zotac 3090. Does this essentially mean the Zotac version will have a shorter lifespan than the Asus version? The Asus having better components means it has a better cooler. If so rougly how many years will the cards last?

- If the temperature is in the 80s region for majority of the time when gaming, is it worrying at all? I know you mentioned that the target temperature is in the 80s however if the GPU remains in the 80s for whenever there are hours of that consistent temperature, is it then I should be concerned?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Since the Asus 3090 has better components than the Zotac 3090. Does this essentially mean the Zotac version will have a shorter lifespan than the Asus version? The Asus having better components means it has a better cooler. If so rougly how many years will the cards last?
The 3090 isnt a gaming card. It's outperformed for gaming by the 3080ti. Any cards lifespan is going to be limited by your expectations on game settings. So no one can answer how long it will last. But you never buy a gpu with long term in mind, you match it to the monitor and upgrade once you're having to dial down settings lowerthan you want to go.

If the temperature is in the 80s region for majority of the time when gaming, is it worrying at all? I know you mentioned that the target temperature is in the 80s however if the GPU remains in the 80s for whenever there are hours of that consistent temperature, is it then I should be concerned?
As already said, the target temp is what its designed to run at. Any lower wont change performance or lifespan.

KyberKai_

@SpyderTracks

Sorry to bombard you again with two questions..

- Since the Asus 3090 has better components than the Zotac 3090. Does this essentially mean the Zotac version will have a shorter lifespan than the Asus version? The Asus having better components means it has a better cooler. If so rougly how many years will the cards last?

- If the temperature is in the 80s region for majority of the time when gaming, is it worrying at all? I know you mentioned that the target temperature is in the 80s however if the GPU remains in the 80s for whenever there are hours of that consistent temperature, is it then I should be concerned?
I’m not an expert like the other guys here but I would imagine both cards will last long enough to become obsolete. I would be surprised if these temperature differences would cause a card to fail early.

If that is a concern though, I would suggest don’t go for a 3090. The money you would save by going down a bit would mean you could use the same money to buy a card in the next generation in a few years, probably get the performance you want when you need it and remove all concerns over longevity.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Very knowledgeable people are trying to help you here mate and it seems like you're going out of your way to make it difficult for them and taking in what they are saying.

I'd recommend going back and reading over the messages again just so you can grasp what people are telling you. You're build is a solid start but it can be optimised. There are also much better options that would suit you better if you would read what people are telling you

bigmaraippo

Bronze Level Poster
The 3090 isnt a gaming card. It's outperformed for gaming by the 3080ti. Any cards lifespan is going to be limited by your expectations on game settings. So no one can answer how long it will last. But you never buy a gpu with long term in mind, you match it to the monitor and upgrade once you're having to dial down settings lowerthan you want to go.

As already said, the target temp is what its designed to run at. Any lower wont change performance or lifespan.

Target Temps doesn’t mean that when the gpu reaches the target then it will start to slow down?

Are you sure if the gpu remains in the target temperature region for hours a day wouldn’t affect its life span?

Sorry I ask because this is all that’s being said in discussions on Reddit etc..countless threads where people are saying Zotac is to be avoided as they always make weaker gpus etc.

Is it too much to ask for a source regarding the target temp for the Zotac gpu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigmaraippo

Bronze Level Poster
Very knowledgeable people are trying to help you here mate and it seems like you're going out of your way to make it difficult for them and taking in what they are saying.

I'd recommend going back and reading over the messages again just so you can grasp what people are telling you. You're build is a solid start but it can be optimised. There are also much better options that would suit you better if you would read what people are telling you

I know! I can see I’m being a pain to everyone and to especially myself!

I don’t know if I am reading too much into peoples opinions of the Zotac 3090 and how the temperatures are higher than expected etc. it’s just I’ve always read that if your gpu constantly is in the 80s region for hours and hours no matter the task, it can affect its life span which is the last thing I want to do..

I’m sorry again..

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I know! I can see I’m being a pain to everyone and to especially myself!

I don’t know if I am reading too much into peoples opinions of the Zotac 3090 and how the temperatures are higher than expected etc. it’s just I’ve always read that if your gpu constantly is in the 80s region for hours and hours no matter the task, it can affect its life span which is the last thing I want to do..

I’m sorry again..

Your missing the point mate you're talking about temps on a 3090 and you don't even need a 3090. You're paying way to much for a graphics card that you can't use to it's fullest capacity or it's proper use case.

The 3090 is not a gaming card. Top end gaming is the 3080 or 3080Ti the 3090 is designed for production work like rendering, editing, AI work, etc.

You're worrying about something that you shouldn't even be considering

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Think of the target temp as 'normal operating window' instead.

Just like in a car, there is an optimum temp where the engine works best, and can run at that temp for the entire life of the vehicle:
  • too cold can mean it's harder to move components as they're tight or not lubricated enough, and wear out prematurely
  • too hot can mean it has to reduce power or risk damaging something
To convert that back to the GPU:
  • too cool may mean that there's a higher resistance in the chip and reduces efficiency
  • too hot can mean it has to reduce power to get back to that optimum efficiency or risk damaging something

DarTon

@bigmaraippo. Stop for a moment speculating about GPU temperatures, the quality of Asus vs. Zotac cards, and instead think about the one thing you do absolutely know for certain: how much you pay for the GPU cards.

The Zotax Trinity 3080 Ti is around £1,175. The ASUS Strix 3090 is around £2,040. That's about 1.75 as much. You can almost buy 2 Zotac cards for every ASUS Strix card. For gaming, the performance difference is going to be negligible.

So let's speculate that the Zotac card is utterly awful (it isn't by the way) and only lasts say 2 years. So, in 2 years time, you would have £865 to buy another card with. By that time, you'll be able to buy the ASUS Strix 3090 card for less than that since it will be 1-2 generations old. Or more likely you'll be able to buy a new 4080/5080 or whatever that in performance terms will annilhilate any 3090. Basically it's a free option to buy a Zotac 3080 Ti over an Asus Strix 3090.

As an aside though Zotac do give you a 2+3 year warranty on all 3000 series card as long as you register it with them. So that's 5 years. They wouldn't be offering that if they were that worried about the failure rate. I just bought a 3080 Ti Founder's Edition on Friday when Nvidia released another tranche. That only has a 3 year warranty.

KyberKai_

Just to throw a few cents in..

I remember when I was buying my first automatic car a year or two ago (had been driving manual for 10 years) I read into what the best practice idling at a red light was.

As I understand it, most people just hold their foot on the break. A bunch of people go into neutral and apply the handbrake. A few others do something else. Different opinions etc. and most of the discussions goes into what will deteriorate the car faster.

Ultimately - my take from it was it didn’t really matter. The minor amount of wear and tear from any of the options didn’t really matter considering how long you would have the car and other issues that would arise before any of these things become a serious problem.

That’s how I see these types of discussion on Reddit. While it technically may be true that having the GPU at 80 degrees for hours per day might deteriorate it faster than one that is kept slightly cooler (I have no idea, but let’s say that it’s true), if the deterioration doesn’t manifest until well beyond the expected life of the card, does it really matter?

I haven’t read these Reddit discussion but I only raise it because sometimes these discussions can get people uptight and spending money on things that are both true and also don’t matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.