Get a new PC with a 3080 & Intel 10900... or wait for AMD's news on the 8/10?

lastho

Hi,

The time has come to get a new PC, moving up from an i7 4770K, 16GB ram, GTX 1080

so buy now or wait to see what AMD brings out on the CPU front? I think I will stick with the 3080 RTX regardless of big navi. I just trust Nvidia drivers more, especially with dual monitors.

Better just add my use case:
  • I have 2 monitors a GSYNC ACER XB321HK (4K @ 60fps) & a Dell 24" 1080p on the side.
  • I play games, some FPS, but also a lot of War Thunder, Hell let Lose etc.
  • I sometimes make YT videos (just for fun)
  • I like to stream, but my internet upload speed is really the limiting factor here (4mbps upload at its best).
  • I use my PC for work (but really RDP to a server and O365 is not an issue even on my current system)

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

The time has come to get a new PC, moving up from an i7 4770K, 16GB ram, GTX 1080

so buy now or wait to see what AMD brings out on the CPU front? I think I will stick with the 3080 RTX regardless of big navi. I just trust Nvidia drivers more, especially with dual monitors.
Either way with the 3080 there's no benefit to a 10900k (assuming you're intending on 4k or superwide, if not, there's no benefit to the 3080). Above 1080p, Intel loses any advantage in gaming over an AMD CPU. And there are hundreds of reasons aside from that why AMD are better:

But I would definitely wait for Zen 3 on the 8th October, they are set to put the single core performance nail in Intels coffin (they already beat them on all other fronts).

lastho

Hi Spydertracks,

I have read both your links above (thank you), as I'm 4K gaming the CPU is less important for gaming, well apart from all the stuff I got running in the background like Discord a few browsers etc, I was also considering an AMD 3900X or 3950X, but I think I will wait for the 8th and see what's coming as you say the core speed may be faster. Might just mean that the MB's will support the direct load of assets to the GPU that Nvidia was talking about.