Ghostwire Tokyo

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I'll be keeping a close eye on the reviews for this one as it releases at midnight tonight. It's a supernatural action game inspired by various Japanese urban legends/supernatural stories and it looks pretty cool. It's also noticeable that it's a Playstation console exclusive being published by Bethesda, who are obviously owned by Microsoft these days, just to add to the madness that exclusivity deals are going to create as we head further down this road.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'll be keeping a close eye on the reviews for this one as it releases at midnight tonight. It's a supernatural action game inspired by various Japanese urban legends/supernatural stories and it looks pretty cool. It's also noticeable that it's a Playstation console exclusive being published by Bethesda, who are obviously owned by Microsoft these days, just to add to the madness that exclusivity deals are going to create as we head further down this road.

I'm really intrigued by this game as well, it looks pretty good from the demo play throughs, will see what user reviews are

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
PC version has an 81 on Metacritic from 11 reviews. Pretty happy with that, but as you say, the user reviews will likely give a better picture!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Nope. Not a genius. Watched that video as I couldn't resist.

giphy.gif

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The game I always come back to with this kind of approach is Bioshock, although of course, this is a much larger scale more open world affair.

But the attack methods of both traditional weapons and etheric powers and the darker demonic baddies always takes me back to that series.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
The game I always come back to with this kind of approach is Bioshock, although of course, this is a much larger scale more open world affair.

But the attack methods of both traditional weapons and etheric powers and the darker demonic baddies always takes me back to that series.
Definitely a fair comparison from the looks of things. I really enjoyed Tango's previous games (The Evil Withhin 1&2), so particularly curious to see how this is

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Just a heads up, my most trusted reviewer wasn’t a fan:

But it’s all in the eye of the beholder, you may like it more than they did. And you’ve always got your time limited return policy to fall back on if you don’t get on with it 👍

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
To the surprise of nobody, guess what I'm playing this morning.

The range of attacks definitely give off Bioshock vibes, but there's a few supernatural game mechanics which remind me a lot of Murdered: Soul Suspect. The game achievements suggest there's a mini collectathon but they seem to be around levelling up your character, so it's probably worth it.

Definitely having fun with it so far!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I was quite excited for this... but watched a review by ACG this morning and I'll probably wait for more feedback I think...

Glad to hear you're enjoying it @ActuallyDenz hopefully it holds up!

[its a spoiler free review in my opinion, ACG is pretty good for that]
I'm only fairly early into the game, and it seems like a few of the issues he identified are more towards the endgame. As a fan of the Yakuza series, I'm playing with Japanese audio, so I feel like the voice acting performances are perhaps a little more solid than they are in English - I don't speak Japanese to be fair, but the performances seem a little more emotional and less stilted. A few of the issues he had also seem to be PS5 issues whereas I'm playing on PC. I'm certainly getting more than 30 FPS! I was a little surprised that the default settings for graphics with my 3080 were 1440 Ultra and RT on maximum, but it's running so so well.

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hey, this game look interesting and i have few questions
- is it a FPS or a TPS ?
- Is it more an "adventure" or "horror" game ?
- How is the folklore ? and is it accuratly designed ?
- Is it worth it ? :D

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Hey, this game look interesting and i have few questions
- is it a FPS or a TPS ?
- Is it more an "adventure" or "horror" game ?
- How is the folklore ? and is it accuratly designed ?
- Is it worth it ? :D
- It's first person, not sure it's technically a shooter though
- It's supernatural more than horror to be honest, so a little creepy more than outright scary
- The folklore seems to be pretty good. It's taken some influences from Japanese culture (the last collectable I found before I stopped playing before work was a "cursed videotape" an obvious nod to Ringu/The Ring), but also some Western references, the most common enemy type I've seen so far is heavily based on Slenderman
- The combat was starting to get a little repetitive when I finished (as is said in the video review in the thread) and so I suspect I'm going to run into some of the other issues. I think I will enjoy it as it is my kind of game, but I suspect it's probably not worth full price to others and perhaps wait for a sale. Currently Very Positive (86% from 373 reviews) on Steam though, so it seems a lot are enjoying it right now!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
There's quite an extensive in-game database with articles on pretty much everything in game. Lots of games have them and I typically ignore them, but with there being various relics you can collect, each relic has its own article and some give a little more info about the particular urban legend they relate to. I found a knife in a bathroom that relates to Hanako-san. Who is Hanako-san? I had no idea, but reading the wiki was interesting.