Give up on the 3090 Strix?

Thunda

My two big road blocks are going to be the CPU (5950x) and the 3090 Strix that I have on order.

Now I'm only 3 weeks into pre-production so I'm not necessarily chomping at the bit at the moment but am obviously keen on information that's going to give some indication of when to possibly, if lucky and the stars align, I can expect my new build.

Reading around the forum - it seems that the Strix could be the big sticking point (3080 and 3090 variants both) .. even just looking around the web - I could probably buy a Brand X 3090 today if I really really wanted one and looked hard enough - but of course, the Strix models are still in the realms of the proverbial Rocking Horse ..

So is the 3090 Strix going to be where everything gets stuck in the mud? I accept that the 5950x could cause delays but could that be reasonably expected to come before the Strix? And if so, therefore, is it worth changing the Strix to a "Brand X" 3090 and hopefully bagging my new PC before Christmas?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My two big road blocks are going to be the CPU (5950x) and the 3090 Strix that I have on order.

Now I'm only 3 weeks into pre-production so I'm not necessarily chomping at the bit at the moment but am obviously keen on information that's going to give some indication of when to possibly, if lucky and the stars align, I can expect my new build.

Reading around the forum - it seems that the Strix could be the big sticking point (3080 and 3090 variants both) .. even just looking around the web - I could probably buy a Brand X 3090 today if I really really wanted one and looked hard enough - but of course, the Strix models are still in the realms of the proverbial Rocking Horse ..

So is the 3090 Strix going to be where everything gets stuck in the mud? I accept that the 5950x could cause delays but could that be reasonably expected to come before the Strix? And if so, therefore, is it worth changing the Strix to a "Brand X" 3090 and hopefully bagging my new PC before Christmas?
It's not something anyone can tell you I'm afraid, there's just no way for anyone to know any expectations at all.

Smoggyuk

Bronze Level Poster
Staff member

I'm sorry to say but ASUS are having the most trouble with 3000 series stock at this moment in time. We are unsure if this is down to the popularity of the brand or if they're not been given the same amount of stock when compared to other AIBs, it is impossible to tell.

But knowing that ASUS released this statement a couple of days ago it does worry the team quite a lot.

Out of all graphics card stock the ROG STRIX variants are comparably null and may not be stocked until January/February time.

The problem is the vagueness of current ETAs because at any point the situation could change and cards could arrive in larger batches, this is pure specualation but the fear for most customers is that they change their choice and a week later the goods become available!

Sorry I couldn't give you anything concrete

1606469451606.png

Thunda

Thanks @Ghosthud . I'm not wedded to the idea of a Strix .. I just had the budget for it at order time and thought why not? It's like walking into a cake shop with £10 as opposed to £5 and getting the big chocolate cake instead of the fairy cake. Both would have been suffice.

Just to confirm though : if I did go to Brand X - it wouldn't cause any change to "queue" position if one exists?

Smoggyuk

Bronze Level Poster
Staff member
Thanks @Ghosthud . I'm not wedded to the idea of a Strix .. I just had the budget for it at order time and thought why not? It's like walking into a cake shop with £10 as opposed to £5 and getting the big chocolate cake instead of the fairy cake. Both would have been suffice.

Just to confirm though : if I did go to Brand X - it wouldn't cause any change to "queue" position if one exists?
Great analogy :)

If you change your card we base the timing off of allocation on the date that you submitted the main order.

This should not negatively affect your position.

Little_Miss_Naughty

Bronze Level Poster

If you change your card we base the timing off of allocation on the date that you submitted the main order.

Thanks for clearing this up.

I’ve given up on the STRIX 3080 from 20th September. Ordered the standard 3080 and from the savings I put in the 5950X processor.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Thanks for clearing this up.

I’ve given up on the STRIX 3080 from 20th September. Ordered the standard 3080 and from the savings I put in the 5950X processor.
Have you got the appropriate motherboard and cooling to cope with the 5950X? Some people haven't taken that into consideration when they've made changes...

kozuki

Enthusiast
oh yeah, knowing that september strix 3080 are still on hold, I think I might swap to non-strix after all, sad times, but sacrifices must be made, and I cannot sacrifice any more of my time

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
I saw a PNY RTX 3090 in stock on scan today for £1699. Maybe an option to speed up PC build. Personally I would of preferred to get G9 on black Friday deal paired with rx 6800xt(PCS build) and it may still work out a bit cheaper.

Last edited:

Thunda

I saw a PNY RTX 3090 in stock on scan today for £1699. Maybe an option to speed up PC build. Personally I would of preferred to get G9 on black Friday deal paired with rx 6800xt(PCS build) and it may still work out a bit cheaper.
Although I used to do it back in the day when GFX cards were £100 tops .. I wouldn't trust my fat fingers enough these days to install a £1699 graphics card myself .. :rolleyes: .. let the pros do it and if they break something .. it's on them!!! :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Would you be able to clear up another regular confusion? At which stage do you allocate stock to a build?

Prime

Well this has certainly dashed my hopes of my build arriving before Christmas! My update last week was just that they were waiting on the strix 3090.

Thanks for the heads up though Ghosthud, fully appreciate that none of this is your guys fault!

Also, how many homemade mince pies would make for an effective queue-jump bribe?......

Prime

I believe the accepted standard of an opening bribery salvo would be a dozen mince pies per staff member per week....but be prepared to go from there right up to "look, I'll make as many as you want but my oven only has limited space" to "Fine, I'll just hire a catering company then" to "Have paid for so many mince pies that I can no longer afford the 3090 so please remove me from the queue" :ROFLMAO:
sigh...rolls up sleeves...

Thunda

Well, I dropped the Strix on Friday .. and woke up this morning to an email saying I'm in build!!! :):D