Give you guys a laugh

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
So..... during this pandemic I have absolutely lost my shirt with spending. I've gone crazy, to the point where I am effectively going to be joining the Matrix soon.

Over the past few weeks I have REALLY been getting into Sim-Racing. I'm decent for a rookie, at least I think I am. I'm finding nuances to driving fast and I'm starting to pick up really good shifting and braking habits that are dropping my lap times significantly

Now, I've not driven since being in work last week (Friday). Every single bit of driving has came from sitting in my "Playseat" and driving my absolute socks off in VR. I have some pretty nifty kit (Fanatec) to try and make it as realistic as possible. FFWD to this evening where I went for some shopping........ I was not prepared....

I started driving and everything felt wrong. I was quick shifting for a start..... instinctively. Then, when I put my foot on the accelerator, I had this weird sensation..... g-force!!! OMG, I'm doing 3 squillion miles per hour (25mph). I slowed down for a junction, almost ate the steering wheel.

I cannot explain the experience I had. Other than potential made up measurements.... I'm not exaggerating at all. I literally lost the ability to drive like a normal person for a while there.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So..... during this pandemic I have absolutely lost my shirt with spending. I've gone crazy, to the point where I am effectively going to be joining the Matrix soon.

Over the past few weeks I have REALLY been getting into Sim-Racing. I'm decent for a rookie, at least I think I am. I'm finding nuances to driving fast and I'm starting to pick up really good shifting and braking habits that are dropping my lap times significantly

Now, I've not driven since being in work last week (Friday). Every single bit of driving has came from sitting in my "Playseat" and driving my absolute socks off in VR. I have some pretty nifty kit (Fanatec) to try and make it as realistic as possible. FFWD to this evening where I went for some shopping........ I was not prepared....

I started driving and everything felt wrong. I was quick shifting for a start..... instinctively. Then, when I put my foot on the accelerator, I had this weird sensation..... g-force!!! OMG, I'm doing 3 squillion miles per hour (25mph). I slowed down for a junction, almost ate the steering wheel.

I cannot explain the experience I had. Other than potential made up measurements.... I'm not exaggerating at all. I literally lost the ability to drive like a normal person for a while there.
I had exactly the same thing when I took a friends high end beamer out with paddle shifts on the steering wheel.... I automatically went into game mode and drove like an absolute lunatic, my mate had to force me to stop and let him take over. It was mental.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The best part for me is the g-force. It's amazing how much your mind loses the expectation of it. It's like being on an escalator and moving.... at first, it tricks your brain... but after a few seconds it feels fine.... till you get off and feel like you're in slow motion again.

The opposite happened here. Because of the VR, my brains sensation of speed is based purely on visuals right now. The g-force was a complete curve ball for it so I felt I was flying o_O

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm sorry officer, the accident was caused because I didn't anticipate the g-force as I accelerated hard at the apex nor the back end stepping out. It just doesn't do that on my VR kit you see.....[emoji23]

Stephen M

Author Level
Slightly different. I remember the first time I drove an automatic, my car was in for service and the only spare was an auto. Every time I was coming up to a junction, lights or needing to slow my left foot instinctively went for the clutch and was close to hitting the brake a couple of times.

Think my new motor will be interesting at first, a Hyundai Kona electric.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Slightly different. I remember the first time I drove an automatic, my car was in for service and the only spare was an auto. Every time I was coming up to a junction, lights or needing to slow my left foot instinctively went for the clutch and was close to hitting the brake a couple of times.

Is that one fitted with a CVT gearbox? Only snag with them is that when u are at motorway speed (ish) it'll be screaming it's plums off :rolleyes:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm sorry officer, the accident was caused because I didn't anticipate the g-force as I accelerated hard at the apex nor the back end stepping out. It just doesn't do that on my VR kit you see.....[emoji23]

I'm fortunate.... I was driving miss daisy and felt like I was Nigel Mansell! It had the opposite effect to what actual racing does :D

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

The issue I had with an automatic is you need to brake harder to actually brake... as you need to overcome the force of the torque converter haha.

I would brake and feel like the car wasn't stopping.

The other thing I noticed was going from auto to manual..... you forget to dip the clutch coming up to a junction leading to multiple stalls.

briggm

Bronze Level Poster
I remember when GTA III first came out it being pretty revolutionary for its time. What is this virtual open world where I can go where I want, when I want, and do whatever I want?

One of my friends bought it on release and myself and another mate went to his house to make a night of it. It was only the three of us there so we were able to play it all night, which is exactly what we did. We took turns doing missions and just generally driving around (whilst eating a lot of bad food) until the early morning.

That next morning I had to drive home having not slept, and I remember driving at the speed limit felt unbearably and almost comically slow. I really had to fight the urge not to zip off at top speed and mount the footpath to pass vehicles in front of me.

Awhile later I pulled up behind a police car at some traffic lights and all I could think of was ever so gently bumping into the rear of their car, seeing their lights and sirens flash on, quickly backing up and then speeding past them through a red light because that's exactly what I'd just done in GTA III. 😆