Giving someone else my HD

Hey,

I just ordered a new PC and I’m giving my old one to a friend. The hard drive has 1TB storage. I was just going to reset windows completely and delete everything. Will this work?? Or will there be any traces of my stuff that was on there. I don’t want them logging into my account or having access to my ‘private’ folders

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Windows reset won't delete your files.

Even if your friend never looked for your stuff, they could dispose of the drive or have it stolen, so you never know where it would end up.

+1 to DBAN.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Wait really? He can’t use the windows on there?? I’m buying a new installation of windows with my new pc so idk
If it's a Retail copy, then you just need to give him the code which he'd use on a fresh installation when it's on his own PC.

If it's an OEM copy, then no, you can't transfer it to him.

You can't give him the copy on the disc, as it would have all the wrong drivers and he'd have to install his own copy anyway. If you gave it to him licensed to your own account, it would include access to your OneDrive and settings and he'd be able to access your account, plus of course it's illegal.

There was no need for you to buy another copy of windows, you could have just used your existing one.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Wait really? He can’t use the windows on there?? I’m buying a new installation of windows with my new pc so idk
If that copy of Windows came with the PC then no, then you can't give it away. The copy on that disk wouldn't work in another PC in any case, all the drivers will be wrong for a start.

Edit: I must learn to type faster on this phone..... [emoji53]

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You seem to have quoted the wrong part.

A PM might also have been nice before deleting the post. Or at least as well as, if you felt that strongly you were right.

One at this point would be pointless - that ship sailed.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You seem to have quoted the wrong part.

A PM might also have been nice before deleting the post. Or at least as well as, if you felt that strongly you were right.

One at this point would be pointless - that ship sailed.
I was just posting in the mods section, I thought it best to clear it as quickly as possible.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My sincere apologies to @Oussebon and @GamingChallenges

I got completely the wrong end of the stick because I didn't read the thread properly.

I had read it that you were only giving away the hard drive, not the full computer and I was reading it that you wanted that hard drive setup with windows installed on it.

If you're giving the whole computer, then yes, you can transfer the license as it's tied to the build.

I'm sorry, completely my mistake :oops:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My sincere apologies to @Oussebon and @GamingChallenges

I got completely the wrong end of the stick because I didn't read the thread properly.

I had read it that you were only giving away the hard drive, not the full computer and I was reading it that you wanted that hard drive setup with windows installed on it.

If you're giving the whole computer, then yes, you can transfer the license as it's tied to the build.

I'm sorry, completely my mistake :oops:
You're not alone. I was under the impression from what the OP said that they were just giving away the HDD, not the whole nine yards. IMO the OP didn't make it very clear.