Good 2.1 desktop speaker system

peppermann

Hi there !

I am looking for a very good 2.1 speakers. After reading a reviews i have decided to order Razer Mako speakers but all the shops in uk are out of stock, even in razer homepage it says out of stock.

The question is, can someone recommend me a good 2.1 speaker system for desktop? My budget for speakers are ~ £300.

Thanks in advance !

MoshiMoshi

Silver Level Poster
Edifier maybe. Don't touch Sonic Gear.

Creative is also a good choice but they are a bit on the high-side with regard to price in my opinion.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention... don't touch anything that says Altec Lansing and sells for cheap.

peppermann

What about Bose Companion 5 ? Is it worth to get them for that price. I have heared that Bose speakers are overpriced...

MoshiMoshi

Silver Level Poster
Bose is an American brand iirc. If you're looking for regular good ones without breaking the bank, I don't really recommend Bose. Then again, my knowledge of in between is very faint so you'll have to do some research there.

Maybe not more than $50-60 for good speakers?

Randomthom

Silver Level Poster
I'm a bit of an audiophile & sound engineer and for a while I had my head up my arse with regards to only using speakers designed & built by companies who were experts in that field. Then I heard a friend's set-up, I was surprised at the quality (build as well as sound). That was the old Logitech Z540 set (5.1).
Now I've got a set of Logitech Z2300 speakers, (2.1) and I've rarely been happier, they're THX certified and very punchy, the sub is meaty too. They can output sub 20Hz & Up to 20KHz (so that's human hearing ranges covered). The individual sounds are distinct and clear.

My only gripes are;
1. Cable length, could have been longer, not a problem in my current set-up in all honesty but it might be for some, especially if you want to put the sub in the corner of the room (as you should!)
2. EQ balance, it is slightly favoured towards a 300Hz and 10KHz boost (normal in home speaker systems). It took me some time to figure that out after which I was able to compensate with software EQ to balance for a flat EQ output. That shouldn't be a gripe really, as I said, it's normal in home speaker systems, I like things flat EQ across the board for mixing reasons so maybe I should have bought some Tannoy monitors!

Seriously, they're impressive, as good as you're likely to find in that price bracket unless you want to shell out on a good amp too.

What sound card are you running this from?

peppermann

I'm a bit of an audiophile & sound engineer and for a while I had my head up my arse with regards to only using speakers designed & built by companies who were experts in that field. Then I heard a friend's set-up, I was surprised at the quality (build as well as sound). That was the old Logitech Z540 set (5.1).
Now I've got a set of Logitech Z2300 speakers, (2.1) and I've rarely been happier, they're THX certified and very punchy, the sub is meaty too. They can output sub 20Hz & Up to 20KHz (so that's human hearing ranges covered). The individual sounds are distinct and clear.

My only gripes are;
1. Cable length, could have been longer, not a problem in my current set-up in all honesty but it might be for some, especially if you want to put the sub in the corner of the room (as you should!)
2. EQ balance, it is slightly favoured towards a 300Hz and 10KHz boost (normal in home speaker systems). It took me some time to figure that out after which I was able to compensate with software EQ to balance for a flat EQ output. That shouldn't be a gripe really, as I said, it's normal in home speaker systems, I like things flat EQ across the board for mixing reasons so maybe I should have bought some Tannoy monitors!

Seriously, they're impressive, as good as you're likely to find in that price bracket unless you want to shell out on a good amp too.

What sound card are you running this from?

My eye has caught that Logitech Z2300 speaker system as well regarding on reviews. I will keep those in mind... ;) I am not an audiophile so I'm not really sure if I should get Tannoy speakers. Besides aren't Tannoy stand alone 2.0 speakers come with in-built amplifiers ? And as I said I'm not an audiophile so I tend to use my onboard 7.1 standard sound card.

JSG10

Expert
I'm still using 2.0 speakers, no room for a sub! But they are Creative Gigaworks T20s and they are absolutely fantastic! Had them for a couple of years now, still going strong, plenty of bass when required, good dynamic range (50Hz - 20KHz). As soon as my brother saw and heard them he went and bought a set himself lol
You can find them on amazon for about £60 at the moment. :)

peppermann

I'm still using 2.0 speakers, no room for a sub! But they are Creative Gigaworks T20s and they are absolutely fantastic! Had them for a couple of years now, still going strong, plenty of bass when required, good dynamic range (50Hz - 20KHz). As soon as my brother saw and heard them he went and bought a set himself lol
You can find them on amazon for about £60 at the moment. :)

I think that I'll stick to the 2.1... Thanks for the tip though. ;)