Good Burger

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I’m an ex-chef, Mrs Cooper is French: we’re food people. We’ve been missing our restaurant trips a lot over the past year and we’re in a village where we can’t enjoy the benefits of services such as Deliveroo so she recently had her second lockdown birthday without a visit to a dining establishment.

But thanks to her favourite burger joint (Steak and Honour, if you’re ever in Cambridge check them out) offering an excellent home delivery option, I ordered a ‘cook at home’ kit that was a big box of awesome.

Four beef patties, soft grain culture milk buns, slices of American cheese, rashers of smoked bacon from local pigs (top quality, no added water), and their incredible sauce.

9C803957-6A12-43CF-9BA2-CC33F1F0C8CF.jpeg

All for £35. And taste-wise, it was worth every penny, absolutely delicious.

021FF7F9-4A1F-409A-9658-EC22EFA77D33.jpeg

We also made our own fried pickles, which you can see there. The verdict? ‘Twas a happy birthday for Mrs C 👍

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Very nice indeed!

I’m a huge burger person, it’s one of the meals I will try when finding a new place, some may find that a bit of an oxymoron, but to me, a really good burger is quite difficult to achieve. I love Italian style burgers or South American, or South African, they’re my favourites.

A suggestion though if you want to try quite an extraordinary Patty, there’s a farm shop in Gloucestershire called The Jolly Nice, started by some Londoners who moved there relatively recently.

All their produce is locally sourced and rediculously high quality. The Patty’s are Chuck steak rather than ground and they have to be tried to be believed, nothing like a normal patty. They’re definitely better on the BBQ.

They don’t “officially” sell individual items, only boxes, but they’re incredibly accommodating and it’s worth giving them a call and speaking to them to arrange a taster.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I’m an ex-chef, Mrs Cooper is French: we’re food people. We’ve been missing our restaurant trips a lot over the past year and we’re in a village where we can’t enjoy the benefits of services such as Deliveroo so she recently had her second lockdown birthday without a visit to a dining establishment.

But thanks to her favourite burger joint (Steak and Honour, if you’re ever in Cambridge check them out) offering an excellent home delivery option, I ordered a ‘cook at home’ kit that was a big box of awesome.

Four beef patties, soft grain culture milk buns, slices of American cheese, rashers of smoked bacon from local pigs (top quality, no added water), and their incredible sauce.

View attachment 24334

All for £35. And taste-wise, it was worth every penny, absolutely delicious.

View attachment 24335

We also made our own fried pickles, which you can see there. The verdict? ‘Twas a happy birthday for Mrs C 👍
Dammit - I was searching that image for cables - but I can't see any. :mad:

Looks amazing! And a happy Birthday to Mrs Cables also!!

When I was living in the US, this was my bible - now a 2006 third edition I see! It was so named because of the approximate cost of AvGas to get from one location to another. Many a happy memory searching for Burger Heaven all those years ago!

The $100 Hamburger

My favourite was Harris Ranch in California - a truck stop off I-5. Also the biggest ranch I have personally ever seen - you could smell it before it appeared over the horizon!! :) 100,000 cattle in that place.....

Happy days those were....:love:

Bigfoot

Grand Master
That burger looks good except for American “cheese”. I have always struggled to find anything that approximates the real thing in the USA. They have a few European cheeses at extortionate prices, but all the local stuff tastes and feels like it is made of plastic. Give me a good, strong, mature cheddar over American cheese.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That burger looks good except for American “cheese”. I have always struggled to find anything that approximates the real thing in the USA. They have a few European cheeses at extortionate prices, but all the local stuff tastes and feels like it is made of plastic. Give me a good, strong, mature cheddar over American cheese.
I like a nice crumbly blue cheese on my burger, along with crispy shallots and extra crispy smoked streaky bacon, on brioche, sourdough or ciabatta bun.

Last week's one was a Wagyu burger that had a beautiful taste & texture.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I quite like Monterey Jack on burgers but that’s about the only American cheese I can stomach.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I quite like Monterey Jack on burgers but that’s about the only American cheese I can stomach.
I do like Monterey Jack too.

I think we forget sometimes that American Cheese is just processed cheese with flavourings and colourings added. It’s like a take on our Easy Singles here.

It’s main good point is it melts at a low temp so it’s great for burgers because it will stay soft for quite a while. But for pure flavour you should probably look elsewhere!

Blue cheese on burgers is nice too but can’t be totally overpowering with the wrong choice I find.

D

Deleted member 41971

only in the US they would call a burger restaurant this

this paragraph of the heart attack grill in the weirdest Ive read for a restaurant

he restaurant's spokesman, 575-pound (261 kg) Blair River, died on March 1, 2011, aged 29, from complications of pneumonia.[13] The Arizona location closed shortly thereafter, on May 31, 2011.[8]
On February 11, 2012, a customer suffered what was reported to be an apparent heart attack while eating a "Triple Bypass Burger" at the restaurant.[14] Restaurant owner Jon Basso called 9-1-1 and the customer was taken to the hospital.[15][16] Reportedly patrons thought it was a stunt and started taking photos. Basso later said, "I actually felt horrible for the gentleman because the tourists were taking photos of him as if it were some type of stunt. Even with our own morbid sense of humor, we would never pull a stunt like that."[14]
On April 21, 2012, a woman fell unconscious while eating a Double Bypass Burger, drinking alcohol, and smoking.[17][18]
In February 2013, an unofficial spokesman and daily patron, 52-year-old John Alleman, died of an apparent heart attack while waiting at a bus stop in front of the restaurant.[17]

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
this paragraph of the heart attack grill in the weirdest Ive read for a restaurant

he restaurant's spokesman, 575-pound (261 kg) Blair River, died on March 1, 2011, aged 29, from complications of pneumonia.[13] The Arizona location closed shortly thereafter, on May 31, 2011.[8]
On February 11, 2012, a customer suffered what was reported to be an apparent heart attack while eating a "Triple Bypass Burger" at the restaurant.[14] Restaurant owner Jon Basso called 9-1-1 and the customer was taken to the hospital.[15][16] Reportedly patrons thought it was a stunt and started taking photos. Basso later said, "I actually felt horrible for the gentleman because the tourists were taking photos of him as if it were some type of stunt. Even with our own morbid sense of humor, we would never pull a stunt like that."[14]
On April 21, 2012, a woman fell unconscious while eating a Double Bypass Burger, drinking alcohol, and smoking.[17][18]
In February 2013, an unofficial spokesman and daily patron, 52-year-old John Alleman, died of an apparent heart attack while waiting at a bus stop in front of the restaurant.[17]
That’s nuts!

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
A slice of ogleshield cheese works really well in burgers.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Did someone say burgers?

I present Yoh Burger, a burger chain near me. Just tucked into my second burger last night.

First Visit (Doubled up smash burgers, special sauce, all salad, hash browns, turkey bacon).
Burger1.jpg

Served with some tasty Cajun Fries
Burger2.jpg

This weeks burger (Doubled up smash burgers, Hash Brown, Turkey Bacon, Lettuce and Jalapenos)
4.jpg

And this gem, a friend got their "challenge burger"

Burger3.jpg

Stephen M

Author Level
Very nice indeed!

I’m a huge burger person, it’s one of the meals I will try when finding a new place, some may find that a bit of an oxymoron, but to me, a really good burger is quite difficult to achieve. I love Italian style burgers or South American, or South African, they’re my favourites.

A suggestion though if you want to try quite an extraordinary Patty, there’s a farm shop in Gloucestershire called The Jolly Nice, started by some Londoners who moved there relatively recently.

All their produce is locally sourced and rediculously high quality. The Patty’s are Chuck steak rather than ground and they have to be tried to be believed, nothing like a normal patty. They’re definitely better on the BBQ.

They don’t “officially” sell individual items, only boxes, but they’re incredibly accommodating and it’s worth giving them a call and speaking to them to arrange a taster.
Have been there it is very good. Not sure on this but they may be one of the places who supply Gloucester Services on the M5, that and the one at Tebay are the only two motorway service places that do local produce, they are as expensive as the others but the food is good. Tebay is always my stop on the way to Scotland.

There are a good few farm shops in the area, the one at Frocester is excellent, although am biased here as a friend runs it. There is also a regular Farmer's market in Stroud.

A couple of good cheese makers in the area as well where you can get Single Gloucester, the lesser known but IMO better cheese than the famous Double Gloucester. A newer cheese is Truffle Gloucester, the single but with black truffle running through it.

Should you be at Frocester Farm shop, check out the Gloucester Old Spot sausages.