Good Burger

KippleKat

Enthusiast
I’m an ex-chef, Mrs Cooper is French: we’re food people. We’ve been missing our restaurant trips a lot over the past year and we’re in a village where we can’t enjoy the benefits of services such as Deliveroo so she recently had her second lockdown birthday without a visit to a dining establishment.

But thanks to her favourite burger joint (Steak and Honour, if you’re ever in Cambridge check them out) offering an excellent home delivery option, I ordered a ‘cook at home’ kit that was a big box of awesome.

Four beef patties, soft grain culture milk buns, slices of American cheese, rashers of smoked bacon from local pigs (top quality, no added water), and their incredible sauce.

View attachment 24334

All for £35. And taste-wise, it was worth every penny, absolutely delicious.

View attachment 24335

We also made our own fried pickles, which you can see there. The verdict? ‘Twas a happy birthday for Mrs C 👍
Looks good, what recipe do you use for the fried pickles?

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Did someone say burgers?

I present Yoh Burger, a burger chain near me. Just tucked into my second burger last night.

First Visit (Doubled up smash burgers, special sauce, all salad, hash browns, turkey bacon).
View attachment 24414

Served with some tasty Cajun Fries
View attachment 24415

This weeks burger (Doubled up smash burgers, Hash Brown, Turkey Bacon, Lettuce and Jalapenos)
View attachment 24416

And this gem, a friend got their "challenge burger"

View attachment 24417
They look very good. However, unless you are someone who does not eat pork, I would not recommend turkey bacon as a substitute for the real thing. I have eaten turkey bacon and sausages in the Middle East, where pork isn’t eaten for religious reasons, but only once.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
They look very good. However, unless you are someone who does not eat pork, I would not recommend turkey bacon as a substitute for the real thing. I have eaten turkey bacon and sausages in the Middle East, where pork isn’t eaten for religious reasons, but only once.
I got warned about my behaviour in an apartment complex in the UAE when I kept cooking my weekend smoked bacon butties and stinking the whole floor out.

They should have designed the apartments so that the kitchen had windows or a decent extractor fan then!

Had to go into a different section, through those translucent plastic strips they use between chilled areas, in the supermarket (Spinneys) if I wanted pork products.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I got warned about my behaviour in an apartment complex in the UAE when I kept cooking my weekend smoked bacon butties and stinking the whole floor out.

They should have designed the apartments so that the kitchen had windows or a decent extractor fan then!

Had to go into a different section, through those translucent plastic strips they use between chilled areas, in the supermarket (Spinneys) if I wanted pork products.
Having both been a chef and lived in an apartment complex in the past, no extractor in the world will completely eradicate all aromas. As you travel up the stairs, you get a different cooking smell on each floor invading your nostrils.

You chose to cook (and by the sound of things, repeatedly) one of the most recognisably pungent foods around in a country where the massive majority won’t touch it and don’t want it anywhere near them for religious reasons. I see where they’re coming from, you could’ve been a little more culturally sensitive.

‘When in Rome, do as the Romans do’

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Having both been a chef and lived in an apartment complex in the past, no extractor in the world will completely eradicate all aromas. As you travel up the stairs, you get a different cooking smell on each floor invading your nostrils.

You chose to cook (and by the sound of things, repeatedly) one of the most recognisably pungent foods around in a country where the massive majority won’t touch it and don’t want it anywhere near them for religious reasons. I see where they’re coming from, you could’ve been a little more culturally sensitive.

‘When in Rome, do as the Romans do’
I know that now, and stopped (any type of bacon) once I was 'notified' how much it was pervading the corridors, but it was supposed to be an apartment block aimed at 'Westerners'.

I only ate out or cooked breakfasts after that.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
It's just because the place i ordered from only does Turkey bacon and I was too lazy to just make my own bacon for it.

Love some streaky bacon on homemade burgers.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
If you want really good bacon, you should try our local bacon producer - Piggery Smokery. Our favourite is the Naked Toad back bacon. The bacon with maple syrup smells amazing, but the sweetness fights with the smoke. We have yet to try the dark treacle and ale variety, but it sounds good. The bacon isn’t cheap, but it is small batch, locally hand produced and worth it.

PS I have no connection with the establishment, apart from being a customer.