Good Keyboards?

I'm currently using a pretty cheap keyboard and I was just wondering if any of you guys could recommend me a much better one.

I've heard that mechanical keyboards are much better than regular ones so I figure that's where I should be looking right?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Without a budget is difficult to give any suggestion. Mechanicals are great, for a mechanical gaming keyboard you are probably looking at +£60.

Thanks, I'll look around online. If I can't find anything then I'll probably just spend the extra £20 for something good.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
For that budget I'd just buy the Microsoft Sidewinder X4. Not mechanical but highly recommended by the general community and will only set you back £30-£40.

If you're going mechnical it's worth spending a few bob on it as you'll like keep it for a few years. The lowest I'd probably go for is one of the CM Quickfire's which come in a few variables starting at about £70.

kruppsy

Master
For that budget I'd just buy the Microsoft Sidewinder X4. Not mechanical but highly recommended by the general community and will only set you back £30-£40.

I was about to post the exact same dude but when i checked they're either out of stock or highly inflated on price everywhere, have they been discontinued?

Scan had a refurb Corsair K60 board with cherry reds for £50 the other day which tempted me. Not sure about refurbs though?

Having done a small amount of research myself, and as Grimla says, the Quickfires are definitely worth a look though.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Oh dear... Amazon has a new X4 for £800 or a refurb'd one for £30... I had no idea they were so popular :|

I personally think a keyboard is more than just that thing you attach to your super duper gaming rig. I started on a cheap wireless logitech set and hated every minute of it, saved up a bit of money and forked out for a Aivia Osmium which I love to bits. When mates come round and have a blast on my rig the keyboard is one of their favourite things about it, they literally just stand there on shooting games tapping left and right just because they feel so great to game on.

So yea, the Aivia Osmium might be a tad out of your budget but the CM Quickfires offer a lot of variations meaning you can choose the ideal one for you. There's also the Q-Pad boards which have good reviews for 'cheap' ones: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Qpad-Gaming...83134478&sr=8-13&keywords=mechanical+keyboard - I'm fairly sure there's cheaper models than that for around £60 but struggling to look at work!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Oh dear... Amazon has a new X4 for £800 or a refurb'd one for £30... I had no idea they were so popular :|

I personally think a keyboard is more than just that thing you attach to your super duper gaming rig. I started on a cheap wireless logitech set and hated every minute of it, saved up a bit of money and forked out for a Aivia Osmium which I love to bits. When mates come round and have a blast on my rig the keyboard is one of their favourite things about it, they literally just stand there on shooting games tapping left and right just because they feel so great to game on.

So yea, the Aivia Osmium might be a tad out of your budget but the CM Quickfires offer a lot of variations meaning you can choose the ideal one for you. There's also the Q-Pad boards which have good reviews for 'cheap' ones: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Qpad-Gaming...83134478&sr=8-13&keywords=mechanical+keyboard - I'm fairly sure there's cheaper models than that for around £60 but struggling to look at work!

You my friend should be "god like". I wouldn't be able to offer so much insight on peripherals. You can probably convince me to change my energy provider if you are up for it.

bigben

Master Poster
Oh dear... Amazon has a new X4 for £800 or a refurb'd one for £30...
At that price maybe I should sell that one that's collecting dust underneath my bed..

X4 is a nice keyboard but if you can afford mechanical I would definitely get one.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I have an X4 and I love it. I'm going to keep me eye out for a new one at the proper price and put it up as a spare.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I don't like to go with the flow... Seriously I didn't want to spend more than £40 on my first gaming keyboard and gave the X4 a go and now I don't want game on anything else. I'm not keen on mechanical keyboards.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I have a Razer Arctosa which cost me about £40, works great and I really like it. Would definitely recommend it

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I've got a CM Storm Quickfire TK, with red led's and red switches. (can get diffferent versions)

Great little KB, wouldn't choose anything over it. and A massive improvement over standard rubber dome keyboards.

SDC11457.JPG

bigben

Master Poster
I've got a CM Storm Quickfire TK, with red led's and red switches. (can get diffferent versions)

Great little KB, wouldn't choose anything over it. and A massive improvement over standard rubber dome keyboards.

SDC11457.JPG

Looks really short. Do you actually use the backlights that bright? Would hurt my eyes..

Ducky shine with red switches is the way to go :) Could be cheaper though..

I love the red switches, find them great for gaming, typing, tapping spacebar (Football Manager)

Last edited:

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
I used to have a G510, swapped to a K60 mechanical (liked the mechanical hated no backlight) and now upgraded to the G510s :D