GOOD NEWS: Ionico 17 new BIOS was just sent to me by PCS!

Macco26

Expert
I wasn't surprised much. That's why I ordered Intel the 27th of Jan. Cezanne (aka Zen3 Mobile) is a half baked Zen3. It's not the Desktop part. Yeah, it's almost there, but becuse of the iGPU, it lacks PCIe 16x connection to the NVIDIA GPU.

In all honesty, that Tongfang with Zen3 lacks a proper thermal dissipation though. I wonder the 17 inch size if is any better. It was hotter than Intel. A thing nobody could believe.

Macco26

Expert
I am making a video comparing the difference of having a MUX or not having it. On the same machine, same other specs.
But I couldn't refrain from posting just this image here:

TITLE: 162 vs 548 FPS
Optmus vs dGPU (Custom).png
Plus don't even know that 194W under Optmus.
(GPU is showed on a different row under MUX)

This is at 2560x1440 for who's interested.

Macco26

Expert
IMO you should. Be careful while flashing though.

I'll post a video with some footage of me flashing mine and some benchmarks afterwards in the 1-2 following days. You better check this first then apply.

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster

I'll post a video with some footage of me flashing mine and some benchmarks afterwards in the 1-2 following days. You better check this first then apply.
@Macco26. Here's the 2933 Ram Bios settings you asked for:

Attachments

• 20210320_111839.jpg
    20210320_111839.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 266
  • 20210320_111820.jpg
    20210320_111820.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 240

Macco26

Expert
Wrote those same specs for my 2666. Since some timings seems been raised (e.g. CASLatency from 18 to 19) I am pretty confident Corsair 2666 sticks can work at 2933 with those new timings in the Ionico. It's a balance between Mhz and latency after all.
In this moment I'm running at 2933 Mhz ;)
Will run a Memtest86 sooner than later just to be sure everything checks out.

Cenksenci

Bronze Level Poster

I am looking forward to watch it, thanks again Macco!

Macco26

Expert
Never reached so far the Tcc offset so dunno.
GPU almost reached its 87 Tmax but stayed 1 or 2 °C less IIRC.

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
Ok. Yesterday I have run MSFS20 fine on ultra... lots of fan but did not check temps for an hour, then onto VR, HLA after an hour the laptop made a squeak noise and froze? Restarted and all ok. Today ran MSFS20 trying to set up VR and noticed CPU hit 90, squeak and looked like throttling but no freeze. I'll keep an eye on it. Both on gaming not turbo.

Macco26

Expert
It happened to me that the iGPU froze sometimes while watching YT on chrome. PC still responsive (audio, keyboard all ok). Mostly recovering it just by suspending it and resuming, so the iGPU got refreshed.
Now with the MUX this thing should happen even less, as the iGPU would be sleeping while I do demanding things.

Macco26

Expert
@Macco26. Here's the 2933 Ram Bios settings you asked for:
As an update. Half a day is gone and my Corsair 2666 set with the parameters of Corsair 2933 is rock solid (knock wood).

1hr of Memtest86 passed
Video rendering, uploading anything I did today was ok.

I wonder if 2666 CL 18 is actually much slower of 2933 CL 19..
Once I have time I might test with AIDA if the change actually improved or not.
(not willing to frankestein the two configs together with overclocking, no thank you: like 2933 CL 18, etc.)

nick2077

i wonder if i should contact pcs to make sure mine is coming with the updated bios so i dont have to do it myself
also wondering if i should upgrade my 2666 to the 2933's :S

Macco26

Expert
For flashing you should contact them, yes. However they generally update their BIOS during testing.
About the RAM, so far my 2666 rocks at 2933 with no problem. I've heard 2933 might be unavailable in their stock atm. should that be the case, pin the values of Paulbax and test yourself what I did ;)

barlew

Godlike

This is my latest creation, showing:
- how to apply the BIOS update to the Ionico 17
- how much gaming changes once you've properly activated that damned MUX

Enjoy (y)
Thats a great video. Really enjoyed it. I new Discrete mode performance better but I didn't realise the difference was that pronounced.

Last edited:

aaronr8635

Macco26 would you be able to do a basic step by step on updating the bios would hate to do something wrong and brick the laptop

Macco26

Expert
This is literally the first part of this video. I mean, by watching it you should find the screenshots of the EFI shell, where I wrote some commands, together with what I am saying and the vendor's procedure.
In the end you have to follow the written procedure from the vendor, which comes together with the files. My first part of the video acts as add-on and real time flash happening footage, just to check if yours is acting like mine or weird.

If you're not sure enough, copy/paste what you get from the vendor and we discuss it here, integrating with what that video says.

Macco26

Expert
I saw this video its really interesting. I actually found it quite surprising that AMD haven't pulled ahead.
I just stumbled upon a reddit thread, showing that actually 7nm process of TSMC for Zen3 isn't much denser than Intel 14+++ nm SuperFin making for the Intel 10th gen. It's not that much difference at all for CPU transistors! (other says is much denser for the cache, that's why Zen3 is full packed of that):
1616399314167.png

Reddit link
(inside you'll find a full detailed article plus a YT video with those images, interesting bits start at 12:00 minute mark of said video)

After all our 10875H sold by PCS aren't that bad, are them? :p