Gotham

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hey Keynes,

This looks pretty cool, defiantly be looking out for that.

Did you watch Arrow at all? I couldn't get into that. I maybe need to give it another chance.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I like Arrow :(

Gotham looks pretty good. I like Agents of Shield (not everyone does I know), so I am really enjoying the small screen stuff from Marvel and DC. It means they can flesh stuff out outside of big budget films. I am not sure how Gotham ties in with Batman films (maybe linked to the new one?).

Marvel are still winning though, but having a single extended universe, where Agents of Shield (and potential other series) directly relates to the plethora of films that we have seen, and will continue to see :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Marvel are still winning though, but having a single extended universe, where Agents of Shield (and potential other series) directly relates to the plethora of films that we have seen, and will continue to see :)

Wait until Man of Steel 2, oh wait Ben Affleck

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
As I read somewhere recently, Marvel just have DC beaten at this point. No contest.

(Not turning this into a Marvel/DC thread, but just found the next bit quite amusing)

Marvel have DC beaten so badly, that they can bring out a film about a raccoon, a green woman, a tree and a fella called Star Lord, that most people have never heard of...and DC think Wonder Woman is too complicated a character to bring to the big screen :)

The fact that DC only seem to have Bats and Supes to fall back on is highlighted almost perfectly by making a film with them both in...while on the other side of the plot Marvel has about 10 films with different main characters lined up (and to reiterate, one of them is...a...RACCOON!).

So, back to Gotham...Ryan was always my favourite in The O.C. :D

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Marvel would return dead pixel laptops :taz:

DC takes too long to delivery :taz:

Aghh getting mixed up with all these arguments going on :)

I think Marval have an great collection of character X-men, Avengers but when these characters go off on their own the films are pretty grim. i.e. Captain America, Hulk, Thor with the exception of Iron man

DC however have an awesome set of films in the Batman Trilogy.

With all these character intertwining and making cameos in Marvel Films it feels like they can just leap frog along with block buster films

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Captain America the winter soldier was pretty good , at least better than the first one. DC has better solo films cos they haven't attempted to mix characters yet or at least lately.

steaky360

Anyone seen Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D? I thought the TV series was pretty good! Links in with the movies pretty well too.

EDIT: DED I like it too! :D

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
True, you have me there, im not as clued up with DC as i am Marvel so i think my perspective is a bit biased. I will go see the Justice League movie but i will be comparing it to Avengers, whether thats right or wrong i'm sure everyone will be.

But the style is so different Marvel seems to just go crazy where DC has some kind of adult realism to it. Does anyone know what i mean, does that make sense?

Marvel things will always be "Shiny" through out where as The Batman and Man Of Steel Film you knew people were going to get hurt and die.

I feel like im trying to make some kind of point but meh thursday

Agents of sheild is quite good the odd bad episode but when the movie tie in happened i was hooked back to it again.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Can't really get interested with agents of shields, gave up after 5 episodes. I get what you mean with more realism but I enjoy both so far (apart from Val Kilmer and George Clooney as Batman). I am looking forward for the new X-Men movie.
Regarding Arrow I actually haven't watched yet but the synopsis didn't really get my attention

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I think again the thing with DC is that their only really recent big ass movie franchise has been Mr Wayne's Weekend Alter Ego (by the way, that would be an awesome name for a film!). As Mr B.Man is inherently a semi-anti-hero kinda guy, this means that DC to date has a record of being more adult/darker.

That said, there was nothing dark about previous Superman films (cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese), but the more recent once have indeed been more akin to Batman than Marvel.

I think the point is that Marvel have managed to prove that you CAN make comic book films about even lesser known characters and win big at the box office and in the reviews. DC just seem cagey about taking many risks.

I never really got into comic books, but I knew about and liked the characters (Marvel Top Trumps anyone?). That said, I think it has been pretty widely reported that Iron Man wasn't that big a deal until the movie, because something about Marvel not wanting to risk one of the huge names when they were just starting out with the whole MCU thing. However, due to exceptional casting (RDJr!), Iron Man is the dogs when it comes to the film series :)

I just can't wait for Ant Man, because Edgar Wright is a boss at making films :D

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Mr Wayne's Weekend Alter Ego (by the way, that would be an awesome name for a film!). As Mr B.Man

Minions_what.png

Im looking forawrd to Ant man too, was hoping for Nathan Filion to star in it but i doubt that will happen, don't want to get my hopes up.

The latest Spidey film had a brutal death in it though, worst i can rememeber from a comic book film, infact i think the film one was worse than the comic or cartoon.

I'm not a big comic book reader but i know the main ones, past xmen, spidy, batman and soups im a bit lost.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I am not sure how Gotham ties in with Batman films (maybe linked to the new one?).

Gotham is just a pre cursor to any of the Batman films, it won't link directly to any of them (although it may well nod its head towards one/some of them) but is more the back story of Jim Gordon, the GCPD, a young Bruce Wayne, Oswald Cobblepot, Edward Nigma, Pamela Isley etc. Being a big Batfan does have its advantages sometimes. :D

And yes, I'll be watching this.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I think the point is that Marvel have managed to prove that you CAN make comic book films about even lesser known characters and win big at the box office and in the reviews. DC just seem cagey about taking many risks.

I never really got into comic books, but I knew about and liked the characters (Marvel Top Trumps anyone?). That said, I think it has been pretty widely reported that Iron Man wasn't that big a deal until the movie, because something about Marvel not wanting to risk one of the huge names when they were just starting out with the whole MCU thing. However, due to exceptional casting (RDJr!), Iron Man is the dogs when it comes to the film series :)

Iron Man has always been massive, even since Tales of Suspense #39. His character's had quite a bit of longevity and the story about his battle with alcoholism was one of Marvel's biggest hits. I suppose outside of comic collecting circles he's not as well known as The Hulk, Spider-Man, Batman and Superman etc, but he's certainly one of the bigger names within comic book circles, as are Loki, Thor, The Abomination, and so on. Basically Marvel really weren't taking a risk with those characters, you'd have never have seen RDJ playing Antman!.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Gotham is just a pre cursor to any of the Batman films, it won't link directly to any of them (although it may well nod its head towards one/some of them) but is more the back story of Jim Gordon, the GCPD, a young Bruce Wayne, Oswald Cobblepot, Edward Nigma, Pamela Isley etc. Being a big Batfan does have its advantages sometimes. :D

And yes, I'll be watching this.

I think it would be cool to see the Joker before the accident.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
That's an interesting one Smoke. Without being a super-comic book aficionado, I thought the origin of the Joker has never really been known? Doubtless I am not aware of plot lines from umpteen comic book series, but I just always thought it was taken that he just appeared from nowhere, with no real agenda etc etc...

Yeh Booz, having read a bit more about it, I like the whole pre-cursor thing. It would be really hard to make a film about that, so it is good that they are using a tv series to elaborate of elements that no doubt comic book readers know already, but the general comic book film fan probably won't :)

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I think it will revolve mainly around Jim Gordon. It will be good to see him get the spotlight to be honest, he's one of the best supporting characters in the Batman mythos and it's about time he took center stage. I was absolutely chuffed when Gary Oldman was cast as him as he really did the character justice, and I'd love to see him reprise the role as an older Jim Gordon at some point in the future. When he's got that 'tache and those glasses on, he is Jim Gordon. I've included a scan of my favourite Jim Gordon cover ever (Alex Ross' work is phenomenal) straight outta my collection.

Also, don't take everything in the TV show as canon. While it will flesh out the characters for the movie somewhat it will be far removed from the comic book. Also with The Penguin and Poison Ivy not appearing in Nolan's Batverse I think it will be safe to say it will literally be a standalone series. Not that that's a bad thing!

Batman #684.jpg

Last edited: