GPU Button.

Hi,
I am just about to buy a notebook, was looking at some of the pictures of the Optimus 2 and noticed a "GPU Button".
I am assuming it is to be able to turn the dedicated video card on and off and run the machine using the integrated card. Is it to save energy when running on battery?
Can anyone help?
Thanks

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Correct! :)

The GPU button turns on/off the Nvidia graphics. When the Nvidia graphics are turned on your get better gaming/rendering performance, at the expense of battery life. When the Nvidia graphics are turned off you still get Intel full HD graphics, but a longer battery life too.

Meds

Nope, the Vortex Laptops don't have integrated graphics. It's all or nothing :)

Dariusz

Humh, I thought that the all new Intel gen 2 series cpu would allow me to do it. O well thanx anyway.

Meds

Yeah the CPUs may have the integrated graphics but Motherboard & Laptop Chassis need to support it too. In the case of the Votex II's, they don't.

Dariusz

Both of them dont ? So basically I don't get the benefit of CPU-GPU function? Will there be vertex 3 17'' or so ? I might w8 then since my laptop wont be ready until April 11-20 ;s

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The Vortex II series do not support Nvidia Optimus technology, so the Nvidia graphics will be "always on". There will not be a Vortex III until the next generation of laptops are launched, probably a year away at least.

n3hima

Does the GPU button on the Optimus turn it off at the hardware level? Or pass some call to the OS which then disables the card?

Thanks

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
It uses a combination of hardware and software. If you visit here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html on the left hand side there's a great link to a whitepaper. Read from page 7 - 9 about the problems of previous generation switchable graphics, and page 10 onwards for how Nvidia Optimus technology works.

Hi PCS,
I read the white paper on the Optimus technology and have a question. This technology senses when to use a dedicated GPU and an integrated GPU. If you start a graphically demanding game the Optimus technology will switch to the dedicated card and then switch back to the integrated card when you exit the game to the desktop. What is the point of a GPU button on the notebook if Optimus can do this automatically?
Thanks

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
That's a very good question! :)

I think the benefit of the GPU button is the ability to turn off the graphics, so for example if you're on a train playing a game or watching a HD movie, you could turn off the Nvidia graphics and over-ride Optimus, therefore conserving battery life.

ok, i see.
When you switch using the button, does it still switch "on the fly" so to speak. In other words does it act the same way the auto mode works?

Last edited:

pengipete

Rising Star
I believe the button simply disables the automatic switching so the system will use whichever graphics processer you've selected in Windows' settings.