GPU Comparison

LouieM

Hi

How much better is a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Max-Q 8.0GB than a NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060 6.0GB

Is it worth it?

maha

Silver Level Poster
The answer is NO, it is not worth it, maxq cards are too expensive for lower speeds, they are optimized for electrical consumption, NVIDIA couldn't have to produce such expensive low level cards.

amdolev

The answer is NO, it is not worth it, maxq cards are too expensive for lower speeds, they are optimized for electrical consumption, NVIDIA couldn't have to produce such expensive low level cards.
Although this is a popular opinion, some opinions in this very forum differ, saying that the 8GB, in the long run, will add longivity to the laptop.
I'm wondering if low voltage = lower temperature.

barlew

Godlike
Although this is a popular opinion, some opinions in this very forum differ, saying that the 8GB, in the long run, will add longivity to the laptop.
I'm wondering if low voltage = lower temperature.

I only have experience with the full fat cards but i believe the MAX-Q cards are lower in temperature and that was actually the point in them alongside the lower power consumption.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It's not something any one person can answer unfortunately. It's all down to individual preference and means at the end of the day.

Given the option, I would have the full fat 2070 over the Max-Q. This isn't the question though, and it's down to the 2060 or the Max-Q, which is a completely different equation.

The main thing to consider is longevity. Whatever you get in the laptop is likely what you are going to be stuck with. This is where GPU selection differs between the different form factors. With a desktop, you simply get what you need just now and save up for what you will need tomorrow. With the Laptop, what you get right now is what you will have tomorrow so you need to try and mitigate as much performance as you possibly can (within reason).

To that end, you want to maximise the performance of the GPU as much as you possibly can while still remaining within your spend. The 2070 Max-Q WILL last longer than the 2060 for gaming, but will it be enough to offset the difference in cost? If you got an extra 6-12 months of gaming at comfortable levels then I would say yes. It allows you to hold off a little longer for the next big spend :)

All of the above is without even knowing the price difference. What is it at this moment?