GPU crashing

pcme

Kernel dumps (C:\Windows\Memory.dmp) are only written by the kernel when the system halts - a BSOD. Minidumps (in C:\Windows\Minidumps) are taken by drivers, Windows system components, and even by applications, and the failure is usually recovered and the system continues.

Thus you may find minidumps even if the system doesn't BSOD. Those would be useful too.
Thanks for the information. The minidumps folder hasn't created yet, the only crash since the reinstall was testing 1 game without the Adrenalin software - by using the extract method by spydertracks above to have windows install the drivers instead. I've since used DDU to reinstall Adrenalin so I can keep look at the graphs.

I'm not sure it will crash again without launching a game. Everything else has been extremely fast, it's only happened when there's been a bit of load on the GPU. I used User Benchmark yesterday before posting & almost everything returned 300-500%, it was only the GPU (38% - that crashed all bar 1 of the visuals) & the primary HD (~90%) that scored below 100% on it.

pcme

Are all devices accounted for in device manager?
Sorry I missed this message, I'm not 100% sure. Just doing a quick side by side with my old computer there's only 2 categories not there. Not sure if they're meant to be there?

IEEE 1394 host controllers
Ports (COM & LPT)

Here's the full list if anything stands out for you.

Attachments

• DeviceManager.PNG
    DeviceManager.PNG
    23.5 KB · Views: 154

pcme

Most everything there has no tell-tale yellow warnings next to them....those missing entries may just be down to a different setup (different BIOS, chipset etc). Only thing standing out is next to "Other Devices" and the green question mark...never seen a green quesiton mark before so not sure if it is significant or not
Hi Nursemorph, good spot, I missed that. Looks like they're missing drivers. Would the windows update driver button be sufficient there?

Attachments

• DeviceManager2.PNG
    DeviceManager2.PNG
    85.5 KB · Views: 161

pcme

Minidumps (in C:\Windows\Minidumps) are taken by drivers, Windows system components, and even by applications, and the failure is usually recovered and the system continues.
I've had my first driver timeout without launching a game, it came after a couple of hours on fullscreen youtube. There was still no minidumps folder created though. Is there a setting I can check to ensure they're turned on?

Would the windows update driver button be sufficient there?
Windows cannot find these drivers btw so that option is out.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've had my first driver timeout without launching a game, it came after a couple of hours on fullscreen youtube. There was still no minidumps folder created though. Is there a setting I can check to ensure they're turned on?
Yes, but let's not go down that route yet....
Windows cannot find these drivers btw so that option is out.
It's vital to get the drivers for these devices installed, they could be causing all manner of problems at the moment.

Right-click on each of those devices and select Properties. In the dialog that opens click the Details tab, then on the Property pull-down menu list select Hardware IDs. Post a screenshot of that output for each device, that should tell us what devices they are and then we can locate the drivers.

pcme

Yes, but let's not go down that route yet....

It's vital to get the drivers for these devices installed, they could be causing all manner of problems at the moment.

Right-click on each of those devices and select Properties. In the dialog that opens click the Details tab, then on the Property pull-down menu list select Hardware IDs. Post a screenshot of that output for each device, that should tell us what devices they are and then we can locate the drivers.
Thanks Ubuysa, here's the screenshots of the Hardware IDs

Attachments

• PCI.PNG
    PCI.PNG
    34 KB · Views: 145

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thank you, that seems to have installed the PCI drivers, I no longer have the 'Other Devices' category in Device Manager. Would you like me to take any other steps or shall I try testing a game to see if we're still crashing?
Test it now. Hopefully that's sorted your problems. :)

pcme

Test it now. Hopefully that's sorted your problems. :)
Unfortunately driver timeout at lobby screen again. GPU Utilization & Clock Speed both hitting 100% before crashing again. This time followed by a memory error though. Still no minidumps folder.

Attachments

• Buoyancy.PNG
    Buoyancy.PNG
    7.8 KB · Views: 143

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Unfortunately driver timeout at lobby screen again. GPU Utilization & Clock Speed both hitting 100% before crashing again. This time followed by a memory error though. Still no minidumps folder.
That looks like an error in the boyancy.exe application itself, it might not be a driver error.

Open the Event Viewer (enter eventvwr in the Run command box) and expand the Windows Logs folder on the left. Right-click on Application and select 'Save all events as...', pick a folder of your choice and name the file apps (the .evtx extension will be added automatically). Now right-click on System and click on 'Save all events as...', pick a folder of your choice and name the file sys (the .evtx extension will be added automatically).

Upload apps.evtx and sys.evtx to the cloud and post a link to them here. I'll take a look to see whether anything is in there.

pcme

That looks like an error in the boyancy.exe application itself, it might not be a driver error.

Open the Event Viewer (enter eventvwr in the Run command box) and expand the Windows Logs folder on the left. Right-click on Application and select 'Save all events as...', pick a folder of your choice and name the file apps (the .evtx extension will be added automatically). Now right-click on System and click on 'Save all events as...', pick a folder of your choice and name the file sys (the .evtx extension will be added automatically).

Upload apps.evtx and sys.evtx to the cloud and post a link to them here. I'll take a look to see whether anything is in there.

When you say cloud, onedrive is ok? Hope those work.

Application - https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah8rdL7C4jfPgXNDAvXYmyalFKIV?e=XucnzT

System - https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah8rdL7C4jfPgXTAwspUi-ZQTpg1?e=N5lf9B

pcme

Sorry I named them Application/System instead of apps/sys. Do you want me to rename & relink?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
These are fine, the file names don't matter. :)

Your Application logs contains a number of application level errors for a variety of executables (bouyancy.exe, searchapp.exe, raedoninstaller.exe, and raedonsoftware.exe) for memory related issues (access violations and heap corruption). These could be the result of flaky RAM possibly or corrupted system files. Open an elevated command prompt and run sfc /scannow.

Your System log is worrying though. Early on there are errors for Windows Update, I count 4 updates that didn't appear to install properly - one for Windows Defender, one for Skype, and two for Microsoft.NET v2.2. Improperly installed updates are a big cause for concern.

There is a bunch of network related services that all failed to start. That's a cause for concern as well.

There is a large number of DCOM failing to start several services, some of which seem to have network related functions and are possibly related to the failure of the above network services to start.

I see that you've done a clean install of Windows already so it's a worry that your system seems to be having problems. I would suggest that since it's so new that the first thing to check is that everything is seated properly - stuff does move in transit sometimes. Pop the RAM cards out and press them fully home, do the same with the graphics card and other PCIe cards. Also check that all motherboard connectors are fully home.

Then I'd suggest you download Memtest, use the extracted tool to make a bootable USB stick, boot that USB stick and Memtest will start. Allow it to complete all four iterations of the various tests - that will take many hours. Even a single error is a failure.

If Memtest runs clean I would do another fully clean install. This time use a brand new USB stick and download a fresh copy of the Windows install files by using the Media Creation Tool. Again, delete all four UEFI partitions, again run Windows Update repeatedly (even across reboots) until no more updates are found. Then download ONLY one game, or other software - choose one that has consistently failed - keep trying to make the system fail, with only this one game installed. The idea here is to keep the system as pristine as possible - you don't want to risk reinstalling the problem, so don't install anything you don't absolutely need to test it.

pcme

Thank you for taking a look.

Your Application logs contains a number of application level errors for a variety of executables (bouyancy.exe, searchapp.exe, raedoninstaller.exe, and raedonsoftware.exe) for memory related issues (access violations and heap corruption). These could be the result of flaky RAM possibly or corrupted system files. Open an elevated command prompt and run sfc /scannow.

I have run this scan now. Here are the results.

Attachments

• SFC.PNG
    SFC.PNG
    18 KB · Views: 180

pcme

That MAY have fixed all the problems, reboot and see.
Not fixed yet. I checked the CBS folder that was referenced in the scan and there was 13 warnings, all pretty much the same - owned twice. Original & New look identical though.

2021-01-01 16:59:44, Info CSI 0000006e Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\Windows\System32\drivers\en-US\ is owned twice or has its security set twice
Original owner: Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Default-Security.Resources, version 10.0.19041.1, arch amd64, culture [l:5]'en-US', nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
New owner: Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Default-Security.Resources, version 10.0.19041.1, arch amd64, culture [l:5]'en-US', nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

I will attempt the next part of reseating.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not fixed yet. I checked the CBS folder that was referenced in the scan and there was 13 warnings, all pretty much the same - owned twice. Original & New look identical though.

2021-01-01 16:59:44, Info CSI 0000006e Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\Windows\System32\drivers\en-US\ is owned twice or has its security set twice
Original owner: Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Default-Security.Resources, version 10.0.19041.1, arch amd64, culture [l:5]'en-US', nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
New owner: Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Default-Security.Resources, version 10.0.19041.1, arch amd64, culture [l:5]'en-US', nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

Out of interest, what anti virus are you running?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Those are the errors it found and fixed. :)