GPU fan suddenly got loud!

Kiazak

Silver Level Poster
Heya PCS folks - I've been playing a lot of the wildstar beta and to make it run smoother I was told it isnt Crossfire ready, so I disabled crossfire on my graphics cards (2GB AMD RADEON™ HD6950 x2) and ever since the fan has gotten progressively louder.

Is it over worked or is the fan busted?

steaky360

Might be that the single GPU is working harder to compensate? Try turning crossfire back on to see if it improves

Kiazak

Silver Level Poster
I've just switched it back on. Still as loud, I'll give it a little restart and see if that fixes anything. I'd rather a quiet PC the 100fps in Wildstar lol

Edit - Restarted and its still very loud. Guess I'll have to try and get it out and see if there is anything to clean although I cleaned it out a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Run MSI Afterburner and check the fan speeds through that. It certainly sounds like what Steaky suggested that the one card had to work harder when taken out of CrossFire, it could be that it locked in a profile for that fan speed somehow and you need to adjust it manually.

Kiazak

Silver Level Poster
So I ran MSI Afterburner and it says its on auto at 33%. So I changed it to manual and moved the slider up and down, pressing apply and no change after leaving it a few minutes. stuff.jpg

Edit - after a little more testing with Afterburner and putting it to 100% I hear my 2nd GPU fan spin up but my 1st GPU stays locked at that speed... Makes the same noise as the 1st GPU when put at 100%

Last edited:

Kiazak

Silver Level Poster
Just an update - it just suddenly went quiet. No clue. Thanks for all the help and I'm sure MSI Afterburner will come in handy at some point!