GPU issues?

Makuto

Hey,

I have just taken delivery of new PC today and am tentatively coming from the mac world. Haven't had a PC for over a decade because of well reliability mainly. That being said games just aren't a thing on mac and lockdown and all that jazz.....

Anyways, fire up my RGB heavy PC, loving life, download Witcher 3 on steam and boom, 1.5 hour download later and im in the game to horrible glitches. It plays everything great graphics wise but in both gameplay and cut scenes I am regularly hitting situations where for want of a better phrase I am roleplaying as Geralt in a way that is not even remotely appropriate, have attached photo....it also does the same thing on roach (horse). Its connected to shadows as its not always the case but in and out of shadows basically just goes completely black. I have also tried playing around with a bunch of in game settings to no avail.

I am guessing its a driver issue, have a 5700XT installed, have as far as I can tell got latest drivers installed through adrenaline, have deleted and reinstalled and also verified the files within steam which was another suggested.

Any other thoughts would be most appreciated.....

witcher.jpg

Danny Vaughan

I will never trust this company with GPU , after paying 1500 for a pc through Currys and realising my rtx 270 super was a reconditioned version. To their credit they send me a new working version. But states on their website they can put whatever they want in a pc to a similar spec. Very sketchy . If I was you I would get that card send back as soon as possible

D

Deleted member 17413

Was it PCS that did that or Currys? Currys will have order specs for a bunch to be made, cant imagine them not being aware it was a reconditioned. I was under the impression that all parts are new out the box when buying of PCS?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I will never trust this company with GPU , after paying 1500 for a pc through Currys and realising my rtx 270 super was a reconditioned version. To their credit they send me a new working version. But states on their website they can put whatever they want in a pc to a similar spec. Very sketchy . If I was you I would get that card send back as soon as possible
I have raised this issue with PCS.

Makuto

So me specifically it was bought direct from PCS, one of their next day PC's. I can't speak for Danny although that's obviously a worrying statement. I would naturally assume everything in the PC was brand new parts and would be pissed if there was anything reconditioned in the case as ultimately that's not what you're paying for. How would you know it was a reconditioned part?

I tried another game and there wasn't an issue but I can't seem to find a fix for the witcher 3 issue mentioned above. Am I right to assume its a driver problem do you guys think?

D

Deleted member 17413

Are you playing on it straight out the box?
They will want your order for the spec as well, if you wanna copy it over.
AMD GPU's are also often mentioned as buggy, have you seen if Witcher 3 is an issue for it?

D

Deleted member 17413

If you order a dedicated graphics card and the AIB (add-in-board) manufacturer name is not specified in the product description or on the final invoice, then you will receive a graphics card that meets the specification of the model/version stated. If the graphics card is exchanged under the warranty, then we will supply a graphics card that meets or exceeds the specification of the model/version stated. This model may be from a different AIB manufacturer and as a result the actual performance may be slightly higher or lower than the original model.

I think this might be what he is referring to on PCS? However no mention of reconditioned, just that if you dont order a branded one, the one you receive can be from any make thats the same model/version.
Is there anyone who can clarify this because thats quite alarming to me.
@moosEh

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My first question is how did you know it was reconditioned?

Danny Vaughan

Was it PCS that did that or Currys? Currys will have order specs for a bunch to be made, cant imagine them not being aware it was a reconditioned. I was under the impression that all parts are new out the box when buying of PCS?
well I was under the impression they where all new stuff too . Currys said they didn’t deal with the components. pcs just sells through their company. And when I looked into it further in their terms and conditions it states they can send a lower GPU or higher depending on stock. As I said before they sorted it for me but very sketch

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
well I was under the impression they where all new stuff too . Currys said they didn’t deal with the components. pcs just sells through their company. And when I looked into it further in their terms and conditions it states they can send a lower GPU or higher depending on stock. As I said before they sorted it for me but very sketch

If you are referring to the below line then I am happy to explain this to you.

7.3If you order a dedicated graphics card and the AIB (add-in-board) manufacturer name is not specified in the product description or on the final invoice, then you will receive a graphics card that meets the specification of the model/version stated. If the graphics card is exchanged under the warranty, then we will supply a graphics card that meets or exceeds the specification of the model/version stated. This model may be from a different AIB manufacturer and as a result the actual performance may be slightly higher or lower than the original model.

This is referring to the two separate GPU options we have for NVIDIA cards.
We offer a premium card in the form of the ASUS STRIX cards and we offer just the standard GPU without a specific manufacturer or version (e.g. cooler style) . See below for a screenshot of the configurator.

For example If you select an "8GB ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Super", then we will fit a 8GB ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Super and no other card. If you have a failed card then it will also be replaced with an 8GB ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Super and no other card.
(except if the card is discontinued by future releases whilst the card is still in warranty. If this is true then we will liaise with the end user to find a suitable solution).

If you order an 8GB NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super then we will fit an RTX 2070 Super but it's manufacturer could be GIGABYTE, ASUS, MSI, PALIT or ZOTAC. If we replace the card due to a card failure then it will be an RTX 2070 super replacement but it may not be the same manufacturer as we do not always stock the exact same manufacturers cards. We will not downgrade you by fitting a different card e.g. 2060 super or 2070 none super, we will always fit the model of card you purchase).
(except if the card is discontinued by future releases whilst the card is still in warranty. If this is true then we will liaise with the end user to find a suitable solution).

1594388897968.png

For clarity this screenshot has been taken from the 2nd graphics card drop down from the configurator and has not been edited in any form. The 2nd GPU drop down was used as its a strip down list (so to avoid having to take two screenshots)

Makuto

Ok, we're getting a little off topic here, I appreciate there is a concern from a guy about a reconditioned card but this wasn't my initial issue. I was having problems with what I presume is the graphics card in Witcher 3. I have now loaded up Outer Worlds and I am having yet more graphical issues.....As someone who is tentatively coming from the Mac world and persuading myself that PC gaming is where its at and I'll take the reliability issues risk this is an awful start. I also had an issue where the start bar wouldn't respond, had to open in safe mode. I have had it twice here have had to hard restart the pc etc etc etc.

The specs are below, its basically the Fnatic gaming prebuild with the 3900X and 5700XT :-

Case
CORSAIR iCUE 465X RGB GAMING CASE - FNATIC EDITION
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 5700 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 240 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
3x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

Makuto

For the record this is the issue I am having in outer worlds mentioned above.....do I just have a dodgy card? is that a thing?

This comes in and out and isn't always green, its just rendering something wrong,

outerworlds1.jpg

D

Deleted member 17413

If you are referring to the below line then I am happy to explain this to you.

7.3If you order a dedicated graphics card and the AIB (add-in-board) manufacturer name is not specified in the product description or on the final invoice, then you will receive a graphics card that meets the specification of the model/version stated. If the graphics card is exchanged under the warranty, then we will supply a graphics card that meets or exceeds the specification of the model/version stated. This model may be from a different AIB manufacturer and as a result the actual performance may be slightly higher or lower than the original model.

This is referring to the two separate GPU options we have for NVIDIA cards.
We offer a premium card in the form of the ASUS STRIX cards and we offer just the standard GPU without a specific manufacturer or version (e.g. cooler style) . See below for a screenshot of the configurator.

For example If you select an "8GB ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Super", then we will fit a 8GB ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Super and no other card. If you have a failed card then it will also be replaced with an 8GB ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Super and no other card.

If you order an 8GB NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super then we will fit an RTX 2070 Super but it's manufacturer could be GIGABYTE, ASUS, MSI, PALIT or ZOTAC. If we replace the card due to a card failure then it will be an RTX 2070 super replacement but it may not be the same manufacturer as we do not always stock the exact same manufacturers cards. We will not downgrade you by fitting a different card e.g. 2060 super or 2070 none super, we will always fit the model of card you purchase).
)

i know we are hijacking the OP's post a little, but can you confirm that its a new card thats fitted then please? And you dont use reconditioned parts?

Also, is it possible fo know what cards you are currently using for the non-branded/named ones?
2070Super/2080Super?

Apologies to the OP I know he is trying to figure out a issue with Witcher3 on his new machine.

Makuto

Well, Witcher 3 and now Outer Worlds as well....which I guess confirms its an issue with the machine/GPU rather than specific games!

For the record it looks like my 5700xt is XFX branded

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well, Witcher 3 and now Outer Worlds as well....which I guess confirms its an issue with the machine/GPU rather than specific games!

For the record it looks like my 5700xt is XFX branded
I'm sorry you've had your thread hijacked, if others want to continue the reconditioned card claim would you please start another thread?

A flaky graphics card very much is a thing and that could be your problem. It's vital however to be certain that it's not a Windows or driver issue first.

I would suggest a clean install of Windows from bootable media, deleting existing system partitions. Allow Windows Update to install all drivers and then install the latest graphics driver.

If you have problems with the system in that pristine state its most likely the graphics card. In that case phone PCS and arrange to get a replacement card sent.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If an exchange is required, I would possibly enquire if a 2070 Super upgrade would be an option. Nvidia is definitely the route you want to go for a hassle free, as possible, experience.

Makuto

I'm sorry you've had your thread hijacked, if others want to continue the reconditioned card claim would you please start another thread?

A flaky graphics card very much is a thing and that could be your problem. It's vital however to be certain that it's not a Windows or driver issue first.

I would suggest a clean install of Windows from bootable media, deleting existing system partitions. Allow Windows Update to install all drivers and then install the latest graphics driver.

If you have problems with the system in that pristine state its most likely the graphics card. In that case phone PCS and arrange to get a replacement card sent.

Yeah, I mean I guess the whole point of me going down the prebuilt route is to avoid this exact situation. The fact they say it is built by X person and quality control is by Y person, I feel like going through the pain of completely reinstalling windows etc, an area in which I am by no means an expert isn't really fair. I did certainly think about going down the route of moving to Nvidia, to be blunt, the research I had done previously I did kind of want to go down the nvidia route but next day options as opposed to a month long wait on custom builds had me going down the 5700XT route.

Thanks for your response and will get in touch directly with PCS

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I totally understand your reasoning with regards to the quick build option, however if the hassle free experience really was to be top of the list then asking advice on the build would have been prevalent.

It's a moot point now of course but if there was an option to rectify any particular niggles it would be worthwhile, depending on the cost.