GPU price fluctuations

Poisen

I know we're all probably sick of talking about GPU's at this stage, but I've been very close to buying a pc with an RTX 3070 in it, and today I was going to bite the bullet and follow through, until I went to purchase and saw the card was now roughly €950, compared to being about €830 two days ago? I know that other components seem to fluctuate by about a euro or two, but I dont understand why the RTX 3070 has gone up so much? As of writing this the RTX 3070 TI is actually cheaper than the regular 3070? Is it perhaps that they've run out of stock?

KippleKat

Enthusiast
I know we're all probably sick of talking about GPU's at this stage, but I've been very close to buying a pc with an RTX 3070 in it, and today I was going to bite the bullet and follow through, until I went to purchase and saw the card was now roughly €950, compared to being about €830 two days ago? I know that other components seem to fluctuate by about a euro or two, but I dont understand why the RTX 3070 has gone up so much? As of writing this the RTX 3070 TI is actually cheaper than the regular 3070? Is it perhaps that they've run out of stock?
This article has a really useful comparison chart which maps the price rises since the start of the year 'Nvidia rtx 30 gpu prices skyrocketing in Europe'

As it says in the article there's a lot of reasons why the prices are rapidly changing overnight. I don't believe PCS push the prices of stock up because they've run out, I'm pretty sure they adjust prices based on the cost they can buy them at and as that can potentially change daily it'll fluctuate as such.

Poisen

This article has a really useful comparison chart which maps the price rises since the start of the year 'Nvidia rtx 30 gpu prices skyrocketing in Europe'

As it says in the article there's a lot of reasons why the prices are rapidly changing overnight. I don't believe PCS push the prices of stock up because they've run out, I'm pretty sure they adjust prices based on the cost they can buy them at and as that can potentially change daily it'll fluctuate as such.
Alright I see, guess I'll just wait it out and purchase when its cheaper, thanks for the reply ✅

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Hold on, hold on, wait a second. I’ve got a much better answer to the original question. The stars are aligning and it is the perfect opportunity to use this image. Wait for it…

C37A148D-FEB8-48F1-B6A7-C81CE7FE1BF6.jpeg

Ooooh, that was satisfying.

E2137ECD-C676-4AD6-AA9D-B0AA8FC40A39.jpeg

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
it's known as supply and demand, if supply is low and demand is high, prices rise, if supply is good and demand is low, prices drop to move the stock

KippleKat

Enthusiast
Hold on, hold on, wait a second. I’ve got a much better answer to the original question. The stars are aligning and it is the perfect opportunity to use this image. Wait for it…

View attachment 27663

Ooooh, that was satisfying.

View attachment 27664
Haha, I use that meme waaay too much in my day-to-day
Alright I see, guess I'll just wait it out and purchase when its cheaper, thanks for the reply ✅
No problem, I think if you're happy waiting you could keep an eye on the prices. I wish I could say I knew when they might settle down. Hopefully they don't continue to rise much more this year.

DarTon

@Poisen . There is no doubt that the price volatility of GPUs on the PCS configurator is too extreme. The volatility is way larger than observed on other custom builders who only vary their pricing typically every few weeks. By comparison the PCS configurator moves GPU prices intraday.

My hypothesis (other than that the configurator is a bit buggy!) is that PCS manage two issues: protecting relatively low margins and inventory management. Yes, there is a global shortage of GPUs but PCS still has to pay for what they buy so they don't want unsold GPUs by the time the invoice arises. When you track pricing, you start to see some patterns in the pricing moves.

In mid April I paid £629 for a 3070 in my build. Right now, if I bought my config tonight the 3070 would be £770. That pretty much the high since I started tracking prices in late Feb. It does, however, regularly head down toward £650. For example, on the 26-June the 3070 was at £662. As I mentioned in another thread, a competitor was offering standalone 3070 cards for £919 so there is some supply out there.

My advice is check very regularly, keep saving the lowest quote and pounce on the dip. It will come again.

DarTon

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
The 3070 seems to be fluctuating the most at the moment. The 3080 seems fixed after a sharp rise last week.