GPU Temperature

sted

Rising Star
I have the GPU meter widget, and I can start something like Max Payne 3 and it goes up to about 45 Degrees C not long after starting, and usually ends up around mid 50's and sometimes over 60. Though when I start the computer up, the temp says it's 35-38 every time I start up, and I'm not sure if that is normal to rise that quickly.

But the main reason for this thread is that I can start Neverwinter nights up which is 10 or more years old, and the GPU seems to jump to 60 within a matter of moments (when full screen, I'm in windowed right now and it's dropped to 55), so I'm not sure if for some reason that game is causing it to heat much more quickly, or if the meter isn't really very accurate.

The game plays well enough, I've not yet experienced any crashes, and the performance tweak such as setting the CPU affinity is done, since NWN + computer with more than a single core CPU don't get on very well.

So I' m wondering if the GPU meter isn't actually correctly feeding the right information, or if that is normal?

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The temperatures you are indicating are normal, I'd be concerned if you are reaching 90 degrees or higher.

sted

Rising Star
Ah, thanks Keynes. Would you happen to know if it's usual that particularly old games like NWN bump the temp up somewhat more rapidly?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
don't worry about how fast the card is heating up. just Max temps should be observed in thus kinda heat. anything higher than 80c for a single card setup, is what id consider high.

sted

Rising Star
Oh, good then. I imagined quicker raises would potentially have been bad, since I literally just start it up and it's all of a sudden reached 60. Thanks.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Yea don't worry Sted, mine admittedly goes up to about 80 while I'm gaming. I've tried setting up a profile on MSI Afterburner but without putting my fans into overdrive it doesn't really make a huge difference and I'd rather sacrifice a couple of degrees than have something that's noisier than a lawn mower.

Mind you, the ambient temperature in my room is pretty warm even with all windows open as the sun shines in all day plus I could probably do with giving mine a good dust out as I haven't done it since I got it in November.

But yea, yours seem fine! If you're worried about old games ramping up your temps, put v-sync on and it will only use the right amount of power required from your card rather than trying to push for 500fps for no reason.

sted

Rising Star
I think V-sync is on, since I turned everything full on there etc, but I'll have to check and make sure.

I haven't properly cleaned mine of dust yet, I should probably get to it soon myself, before it's completely covered. :/ I put a cover over it when I turn it off, but it still seems to collect a lot throughout the day, but at least should be reduced with the covering.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I think V-sync is on, since I turned everything full on there etc, but I'll have to check and make sure.

Might just be worth checking in the Nvidia control panel what it's set to. I think Adaptive V-sync is the best choice and I'm not sure if the control panel overides the game settings i.e. if v-sync is turned off in nvidia control panel but turned on in the game settings, I think it may stay turned off.

Could be wrong though! Even an old game may push your card though if you have AA, Shadows, etc ramped up on max.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I haven't properly cleaned mine of dust yet, I should probably get to it soon myself, before it's completely covered. :/ I put a cover over it when I turn it off, but it still seems to collect a lot throughout the day, but at least should be reduced with the covering.

I cover my PC up at night too... its like putting it to bed :)

Dust gets everywhere, I added extra filters to my intakes and it still gets in! although quite a bit does get caught in the filters. I find the mesh panels are rubbish for dust protection, had to put two filters on part of my side panel just to stop the dust bunnies migrating.

Regular cleaning is the best way, the dust is going to get in there anyway, so just keep on top of it before it gets like this....

dirty_computer_Orlando.jpg

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I cover my PC up at night too... its like putting it to bed :)

Dust gets everywhere, I added extra filters to my intakes and it still gets in! although quite a bit does get caught in the filters. I find the mesh panels are rubbish for dust protection, had to put two filters on part of my side panel just to stop the dust bunnies migrating.

Regular cleaning is the best way, the dust is going to get in there anyway, so just keep on top of it before it gets like this....

dirty_computer_Orlando.jpg

How'd you get a photo of my PC?

sted

Rising Star
:/ I'm surprised my previous computer wasn't like that, hadn't cleaned the inside or opened it up for the first 3 years of having it. Never crossed my mind back then, but every day use may have prevented it from getting like that, or something.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
:/ I'm surprised my previous computer wasn't like that, hadn't cleaned the inside or opened it up for the first 3 years of having it. Never crossed my mind back then, but every day use may have prevented it from getting like that, or something.

My boss opened his work PC up yesterday as he only has 2gb ram and wants to upgrade... He hasn't cleaned it out in 4 years, was an absolute mess. He got the hoover on it and it did nothing. Told him to get some air cans so we'll see what happens but yea! My rig has like grey filters on the front panel from where the dust has built up so I shouldn't probably do mine sooner than later!

sted

Rising Star
I'm glad I got the Zalman case with my one, so I can at least have an idea of the dust inside, with the side window.