GPU temperatures

jpz10

Ive got an Nvdia GT 540m and when I play games the GPU gets really hot like sometimes gets into the 90c is it just me or do you guys also get high temperatures?

Also idle temps around 60-70c

I play on min setting on all games and have turned v-sync on

The temperatures may reduce my laptops life how can I reduce the temps ?

I have ordered a laptop cooler and check out if it helps

Enigma III 540: 15.6" Matte HD LED Widescreen (1366x768)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i3 Dual Core Mobile Processor i3-2350M (2.30GHz) 3MB
Memory (RAM) 4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 2GB)
Graphics Card nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

Last edited:

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
I also have high temps on my GPU, whilst playing Hitman Absolution i get around 90c. Idle temps for my GPU are around 38-40c and my CPU is around 52-54c. I think mine and your GPU's temp is too high. I even have a Laptop cooler.

I cleaned my fans etc but still the same, so i am thinking of re pasting my heat sinks. I had it originally done when i bought the laptop 9 months ago with ic diamond paste. Does any know how often it should be done?

Yamikotai

Expert
90C is fine for mobile GPUs, though your idle temps are rather high. If you're able, I'd make sure the inside is thoroughly dusted, and if that doesn't work re-apply the thermal paste.

I had it originally done when i bought the laptop 9 months ago with ic diamond paste. Does any know how often it should be done?
If it's done right with a decent paste, it shouldn't need to be redone unless you're changing the heatsink/component. Never heard of IC diamond though. Try using AC MX-4 (Amazon link), that should never need re-applied.

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
Sorry for Hijacking your thread jpz10...

Never heard of IC diamond though. Try using AC MX-4 (Amazon link), that should never need re-applied.

Sorry not sure what i was talking about when i wrote that i have never heard of IC diamond either, meant to say AC MX-4 witch i did order a few days ago should be here tomorrow. I am going to try a re paste, my laptop in the past 9 months has been back a fourth from europe to the us about 5 times and has took a few knocks and bangs.

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
Just to let you know, i decided to re paste the heatsink on the CPU and GPU and my gaming temps have dropped about 17c not bad! Just played Hitman for about 1 hour GPU max was 71c and the CPU was about 73C so im very happy with that.

I would suggest that jpz10 you do the same.

lewishollings

Bright Spark
Just to let you know, i decided to re paste the heatsink on the CPU and GPU and my gaming temps have dropped about 17c not bad! Just played Hitman for about 1 hour GPU max was 71c and the CPU was about 73C so im very happy with that.

I would suggest that jpz10 you do the same.

really? Daammn not bad, I'm really worried about my temps right now, I posted a thread about them but I tabbed out of far cry 3 one day too see my cpu at 95 degrees... havent played it since :L think I may re paste

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
I tabbed out of far cry 3 one day too see my cpu at 95 degrees... havent played it since :L think I may re paste

I was worried when mine was hitting 90c. I paid about £9 for the paste but i had 1st class delivery because im away in a few days. The actual Arctic MX-4 paste was £4.68 from amazon. Well worth the money.

I cant believe the difference, I used to just browse the net and the fans would be spinning constantly at a medium speed. They are still on now but dont spin as fast.

My idle temps haven't dropped at all though. what ever i did under the hood it seems to of helped when using the laptop to the max.

lewishollings

Bright Spark
I was worried when mine was hitting 90c. I paid about £9 for the paste but i had 1st class delivery because im away in a few days. The actual Arctic MX-4 paste was £4.68 from amazon. Well worth the money.

I cant believe the difference, I used to just browse the net and the fans would be spinning constantly at a medium speed. They are still on now but dont spin as fast.

My idle temps haven't dropped at all though. what ever i did under the hood it seems to of helped when using the laptop to the max.

ahh well mine are htting 95c on a desktop which is pretty worrying, your cpu is in more of an enclosed space, my desktop has pretty good airflow and is still hitting stupid temps.

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
ahh well mine are htting 95c on a desktop which is pretty worrying, your cpu is in more of an enclosed space, my desktop has pretty good airflow and is still hitting stupid temps.

well that is very worrying then, your shouldn't be hitting 95c on a desktop. Just out of piece of mind it would be worth re pasting. Or 1st give the heat sinks a good clean.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

jpz10

Thanks for he suggestion I will try to put new paste onto the heat sink, I only used the standard paste I guess it really does make a difference

Put laptop slight raised on the desk and my ideal temps are low now between 38-45c gpu

Also one more thing like even thought it is a laptop and it will hit high temperatures will it affect the life of the laptop?

Thanks in advance

lewishollings

Bright Spark
Thanks for he suggestion I will try to put new paste onto the heat sink, I only used the standard paste I guess it really does make a difference

Put laptop slight raised on the desk and my ideal temps are low now between 38-45c gpu

Also one more thing like even thought it is a laptop and it will hit high temperatures will it affect the life of the laptop?

Thanks in advance

if your cpu is constantly hitting very high temperatures then it can shorten the lifespan of your cpu.