GPU Upgrade - The Choices!

LFFPicard

Godlike
Well,

Virgin have emailed me and told me they are increasing my credit limit, so what better way to celebrate than to buy a new GPU! :)
Now, I have one dumb question, as my PC is now pushing 4years old the GPU is really the only thing falling behind at the moment. But my Motherboard only has PCI-E 2.0.. So the dumb question is, will a PCI-E 3.0 top of the range GTX 980 going to bottleneck?

If not, what cards do people recommend? I have been doing some browsing and the prices do not vary much but I know a few of you have upgraded recently so what's your thoughts?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Depends on your budget but I don't think there will be a noticeable difference between PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0, I have seen benchmarks for previous generation GPU though not current ones

LFFPicard

Godlike
Well I have seem some on other sites anything up to £500, and the Palit stock in the upgrade section on here is £472

I am fine with these prices as it will last me another 4 years. And by then a whole new PC is in order :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
After 8 years? I bloomin well hope so! :D

Awww, remember when the 580 was all like "OMGTHISTHINSISAMAZING" and it just stomped over everything else? Heady heady days :)

OT: To me you have two options, 980 and 970. Which is basically a choice between top top end, and top end with a bit of a saving.

Gotta love the PC Gamer...get more money/credit/Nigerian prince calls you...immediate thought is to improve the PC :D

LFFPicard

Godlike
heh, I remember waiting until the 580 had only just come out I was among the first to order one on here. And not long after that a new card came out :(

That's what it is like in this market though, I was going to upgrade when the 700's came out but thought, nah a new one will come out soon. Then the 900's came out and I am thinking the same but I really should upgrade even if the only reason being when I run stuff on ultra my computer does not sound like a jet engine when the fans go into overtime on my card :)

LFFPicard

Godlike
In the end and after talking to a friend a bit I decided to save a couple hundred and get a 970, I have just ordered a Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU II OC Strix 4096MB GDDR5 due for delivery Monday pre 12 \o/