Graphics card died - recommended replacement?

tah

Hi guys

heres m over 3 year old system:
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™2 Duo E6850 (2 X 3.00GHz) 1333MHz FSB/4MB L2 Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P5K-E/WIFI: DDR2, SATAII, 2xPCI-e x16, 3 PCI, 2xPCI-e x1
Memory (RAM)
4096 MB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (4x1GB)
Graphics Card
768MB GEFORCE 8800GTX PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT

My graphics card has died and i need a new one. I'd like something that will work now and in the future when i can upgrade the rest of my PC.

Currently im looking at GTX 460's. Would this be compatible/suitable??

Thanks for any advice.

Meds

Agreed with Gorman, the GTX460 or maybe even the GTX465 are the perfect replacements for a 8800GTX

Michael89

Bronze Level Poster
I'd also say the GTX 460 if you're going to go the NVidia route. I just bought myself a new PC and spent quite a while deliberating over which graphics card to fork out for. In the end I went for the 460 for four reasons: the ATI HD5770 (~130) is £70 cheaper but no where near as good at the high end, the HD 5850 is the closest ATI to compare but is £40 more expensive (~240), the 470 seems to be noisy and quite hot in some builds when pushed and the 465 doesn't offer too much of an improvement to really justify the cost.

From the limited time I've had to actually push the 460 and from what I've read. It will comfortably play pretty much any game on high/very high settings at 1680x1050 (my native resolution) at an excellent frame-rate. It is also pretty damn quiet.

Hope that helps.

JSG10

Expert
I take it thats not the case then Sleinous? Am looking at the 470 for my rig but don't want a too noisy card!

Sleinous

Author Level
Ye, tbh my previous gpu was an 8400m gt, even so, i wouldnt call my rig at all noisy, low music drowns it out, as does the washing machine downstairs