Graphics card overheat after cleaning

Cabulb

Graphics card overheat after cleaning [Solved]

I have a P170HM (Vortex II) chasis with AMD HD6990M graphics. My system began to force shutdown due to overheat within 5 minutes of booting Windows 7 into normal mode. In one instance I managed to check the temperature before shutdown, which showed 103 degrees celsius. I have isolated the problem to the gpu when I ran checks on everything else in safe mode where the graphics card is disabled. The fan can be heard running normally.

This started immediately after I cleaned the heat sinks of the gpu and cpu recently (same procedure I'd done several times before without causing any problem). What could I have done to cause the gpu to overheat?

edit: it's probably a problem with poor contact, I'll replace the thermal paste tomorrow and report back .

Last edited:

paul1224

Definately sounds like the thermal paste hasn't taken correctly so as you have said best first step would be to clean off the old, apply the new and see if this helps the situation.

Cabulb

Definately sounds like the thermal paste hasn't taken correctly so as you have said best first step would be to clean off the old, apply the new and see if this helps the situation.

I reapplied the thermal paste today and the temperature now sits nicely at around 60 degrees Celsius while idle. I will remember to reapply thermal paste regularly in the future.

Problem solved.

Last edited: