Graphics Card Problems....

Hi,

I really hope someone can help me...

My PC was starting to slow down so I decided it was time to reinstall Windows and start from scratch. I used the disks and drivers provided and updated them as needed (My NVidia Drivers: 335.23). Everything works fine except for one thing.....

The problem I have is that my main screen (All in one) is using the on board graphics card and there does not seem to be any way to change it. I use a dual screen set up and my HP monitor works with my NVIDIA but not the larger built in one.

The main monitor is not selectable from the NVIDIA control panel:
NVIDIA CONTROL.jpg

Similarly the Intel Graphics control panel does not let me select my HP monitor but only allows for my secondary HP Monitor:
INTEL CONTROL.jpg

If I look at the Screen Resolution Windows 8 in the Control Panel it shows both:
Windows CONTROL.jpg
However when clicking "advanced settings" it shows the cards they are using but doesn't seem to allow me to change them:
Windows CONTROL - Advanced Settings.jpg

I am at a loss, I am not an idiot at computers but I am by no means a part of the IT Crowd, I did an A Level in computer programming but I have never had a use for VB6 since...... :tt2: I tend to do my research and solve problems myself but this one has be completely stumped, I would normally say that something is not plugged into the right place but that cant be the case because it worked before I formatted.

I have been playing The Elder Scrolls Online BETA on the minimum graphics settings because there is no way to select my shiny NVidia Card.

Please help.... :batman:

My set up is as follows:

• Chassis & Display PowerGlide Extreme: 24" Glossy Full HD Multi-Touch Screen (1920x 1080)
  • Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3770K (3.5GHz) 8MB Cache
  • Memory (RAM) 16GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 8GB)
  • Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

• 1st Hard Disk 2TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD20EARX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
  • 1st Hard Disk Partitions 500GB, 1500GB
  • 1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 4x BLURAY ROM, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
  • Memory Card Reader Integrated 4 in 1 Card Reader (SDXC/MMC/MS/XD)
  • Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
  • Wireless/Wired Networking GIGABIT LAN & INTEL WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0
  • USB Options 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 5 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
  • Operating System Genuine Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£109)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Try disabling integrated graphics in device manager.
Failing that disconnect external monitor then do a clean install of NVIDIA driver.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
When you installed the drivers from the disk did it work? if your not sure might be worth re installing the old ones.

I do remember someone having a similar complaint, but I cant for the life of me remember how it was resolved. I have to go out for a while so no time to search for it, but hopefully someone else can remember for you in the mean time.

@Vanthus - Disabling only gave me a black screen with noway to get it back except re-enabling.... I am uninstalling the drivers now and I am going to give it a go, fingers crossed.

@Mantadog - Interesting idea, I will give it a go if I have no luck with Vanthus' plan

@Vanthus - Sadly this did not work, I'm thinking of uninstalling the Intel software too and installing the NVIDIA drivers again....

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
@Vanthus - Sadly this did not work, I'm thinking of uninstalling the Intel software too and installing the NVIDIA drivers again....
Does look like a drive problem,I'm not all that familiar with AIO PC'S,give that a go anyway,if no joy and if mantadogs suggestion doesn't work I would give PCS a call.

So I have done that, and this time I don't get a blank screen when disabling the intel graphics card, however after reinstalling NVIDIA drivers again I get this when trying to open the control panel:
NVIDIA CONTROL - 3.jpg

Sometimes I hate PCs.... I think I need to watch some 90s SciFi and unwind....

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Did you try the old drivers? I found the old thread I was thinking about, turns out it was for a crossfire setup with AMD cards, so couldn't really be any less applicable here...

It's almost like a driver for the monitor isn't installed, you 100% sure aint lost a disk somewhere?

Have you gone to the download section of the PCS site and double checked you installed all the drivers? Log into the PCS site, go to the tech support box on the left hand side and at the bottom is a section for downloads. That will have all the drivers for your system.

Did you try the old drivers? I found the old thread I was thinking about, turns out it was for a crossfire setup with AMD cards, so couldn't really be any less applicable here...

It's almost like a driver for the monitor isn't installed, you 100% sure aint lost a disk somewhere?

Have you gone to the download section of the PCS site and double checked you installed all the drivers? Log into the PCS site, go to the tech support box on the left hand side and at the bottom is a section for downloads. That will have all the drivers for your system.

So update:

They don't make drives for my screen and that is the issue, I spoke to Tech on Wednesday from work and they seemed and they told me there was a work around and they would take control of my PC to fix it... Problem: I was not in front of my PC as I work 8-6. I said I would call Saturday.

I called this morning and they have no clue what the issue is and the first person didn't leave any notes. :(

I have been promised an email to take me through it on Monday but the Beta I want to play is only open this weekend... and to think I sent my wife away to Germany so that I could play it too. :(