Graphics Card Problems

Tash

I have a several year old PC with a 980Ti graphics card which has worked fine up until today. I started a game and the screen went black. I eventually had to do a hard reset, it booted up through the bios normally, as soon as windows started the monitor switched to no signal and turned off. After a few rounds of this, and a system restore from safe mode in case it was something driver related, I opened the machine up and watched the graphics card while it booted. It was on with fans rotating as it went through the BIOS, but once windows started the fans went off and the signal to the monitor disappeared.

I've switched to CPU graphics so the computer's usable, and - with good timing for once - I've just ordered a new gaming PC from here that will arrive soon. I was planning to turn this computer into an office PC, and the CPU graphics are fine for that, but if there is any way of salvaging the graphics card I'd like to. Any ideas?

The only other possible earlier indication of problems was a few weeks ago I had a crash and when the machine rebooted there was a report that it was due to a power surge. That was when I was playing a game which was fairly intensive on the graphics card. That was a one off I haven't seen before or since, so I don't know if it's relevant.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Depending on the GPU model, the fan switching off isn't necessarily a problem. They often turn off under low loads.

What version of Windows is it? 7? 10? if 10 what version e.g. 1809, and has it recently upgraded?

Can you try a clean reinstall of Windows?

Tash

It's currently Windows 10, 1803, but that's after I did a system restore and I know it updated in the last few days so I think it was on 1809 when the problem first occurred. It is still happening under 1803. Oh and the fan on this card definitely does turn off on low load, so that could well be coincidental.

I can reinstall, but in case that leads to further problems I'll leave that until after my new machine arrives. It would be inconvenient not to have a desktop functional for work. Do you think wait until then, reinstall and see if the problem persists?