Graphics Card.

arrmar

Bronze Level Poster
I'm finding this graphics card issue all very confusing, some people are saying the 1gig GTX 460, but then some are saying the 2gig GTX 460 (read reviews that the 2gig isn't worth it unless you have a huge pc screen?)

Then again others are saying the ATI Radeon HD 5870 or even the 5850?

Is this all down to personal choice? and do they all perform to a similar standard?

Sweeney47

just to add, from what I've read, if you're playing at 1680x1050 resolution or similar the 5850 will perform just as well as the 5870 so you can save some money there if needed.

steveuk87

Super Star
nvidea is the best as it has physx but if your wanting to save a bit of vash go for radeon, tbh they all pretty good cards and you wont tell much differance only picky/extreme gamers/designers see differance between high end cards :) i'm happy with my 5770 :)

Steve

Sweeney47

nvidia cards have the perk of supporting physx but you do pay more for it, so its a matter of is it worth it for you? ;)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
I'm finding this graphics card issue all very confusing, some people are saying the 1gig GTX 460, but then some are saying the 2gig GTX 460 (read reviews that the 2gig isn't worth it unless you have a huge pc screen?)

Then again others are saying the ATI Radeon HD 5870 or even the 5850?

Is this all down to personal choice? and do they all perform to a similar standard?

To some extent personal choice, but generally the more expensive the card is, the better it will perform. Regarding the GTX460 - you don't "need" the 2GB card, but if you desire to have the best, then the 2GB version has more memory and a marginally faster processor.

I try to offer unbiased advice, I don't sit on the green or red team!

If you play games, go for the best card you can afford within your budget, which as Matt says is:

5870>>5850>>GTX460(2gig)>>GTX460(1gig).