graphics cards for new laptops

can someone explain to me ?, why do the higher priced laptops only have a 2080q, but the cheaper have 3080q?????
isnt the 3080 better??? , does the 3080 not fit in these laptops???? .

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
RTX 2080 is the last gen RTX model and thus laptops with that GPU is getting rare and prices are not matched and relevant compared to current RTX GPU`s . That being said , RTX 3080 might not at all be better as it depends on the TGP of that card . A Max-Q RTX 3080 might be slower than a higher TGP configured RTX 3070 . Also bear in mind that we have no " Super " version of the current gen RTX GPU`s . Hence a RTX 2080 Super non Max-Q could be as fast as a RTX 3070 .

Also the RTX 3080 Laptop GPU is not based on the desktop RTX 3080 , but the RTX 3070 and in watered down config due to thermals and power consumption. RTX 2080 Super Mobile was the same GPU as the desktop GPU with minor adjustment for the highest spec , differing as low as 7-8 % in performance compared to the desktop counterpart .

RTX 2080 is the last gen RTX model and thus laptops with that GPU is getting rare and prices are not matched and relevant compared to current RTX GPU`s . That being said , RTX 3080 might not at all be better as it depends on the TGP of that card . A Max-Q RTX 3080 might be slower than a higher TGP configured RTX 3070 . Also bear in mind that we have no " Super " version of the current gen RTX GPU`s . Hence a RTX 2080 Super non Max-Q could be as fast as a RTX 3070 .

Also the RTX 3080 Laptop GPU is not based on the desktop RTX 3080 , but the RTX 3070 and in watered down config due to thermals and power consumption. RTX 2080 Super Mobile was the same GPU as the desktop GPU with minor adjustment for the highest spec , differing as low as 7-8 % in performance compared to the desktop counterpart .
omg thank you for explaining it to me, I really appreciate your time and effort xx

I got this question as i looked up the 2 cards on benchmark and it said 3080 was much better :) , thanks for clearing that up x