Graphics cards help please?

Tysuro

Gold Level Poster
Ok I have abit of a problem, I have a few different cards that I really like and want for high end gaming rig. At first I decided on getting 2 Asus GeForce GTX 470's then I read reviews saying that it overheats and is very noisy. Then started looking at the Asus Geforce GTX 480 which is just a little cheaper then the 2 470's but will 2 470's be better then 1? you see I have a few issue's with Nvidia and many different reviews make it rather confusing.
But I started looknig at the Asus ati 5870 graphics cards and lots of good reviews but I'm still stuck between getting eithur 2 Nvidia 470's or 1 Nvidia 480 or just 1 Ati 5870:confused:. If anyone has these cards or can give me a good idea of what to go for it would be Great!

Tysuro

Gold Level Poster
I just wana be able to play Games like World of warcraft, Lineage 2, Crysis, call of duty etc and be prepared for upcoming games so I don't have to suffer from low FPS or game crashing when loading it.

Sleinous

Author Level
Ok I have abit of a problem, I have a few different cards that I really like and want for high end gaming rig. At first I decided on getting 2 Asus GeForce GTX 470's then I read reviews saying that it overheats and is very noisy. Then started looking at the Asus Geforce GTX 480 which is just a little cheaper then the 2 470's but will 2 470's be better then 1? you see I have a few issue's with Nvidia and many different reviews make it rather confusing.
But I started looknig at the Asus ati 5870 graphics cards and lots of good reviews but I'm still stuck between getting eithur 2 Nvidia 470's or 1 Nvidia 480 or just 1 Ati 5870:confused:. If anyone has these cards or can give me a good idea of what to go for it would be Great!

Again "very" noisy. All lies :p GTX 470s are not noisy, they may be SLIGHTLY noisIER than say an HD 5870, but NOT noisy. When I fold on my GPU for a few hours solid it does not get noisy, or warm for that matter, prividing you're not trying to run an SLI setup inside a case with only one exhaust fan for e.g. :)

Tysuro

Gold Level Poster
Would I be ok with 2 470's then? If I got water cooling?
I use computer for many hours so bare that in mind.
By the way when you wana use duel graphics card do you go for SLI or Crossfire? I dunno the difference.

Last edited:

Tysuro

Gold Level Poster
I'll go with 1 Asus nvidia geforce 480 just been speaking with a friend and decided 2 470's together will generate lots of heat together and it's better to get 1 480 and a 260 pyhic's card.

Sleinous

Author Level
SLI for Nvidia GPUs

Crossfire for ATI GPUs

Yes especially if you watercool the entire system with a custom loop. If youre going for a CPU watercool thats fine, make sure that your case has good airflow, like the HAF 932, Corsair cases etc. Thats the key to cool temps and little noise.

Tysuro

Gold Level Poster
Does the ATI Radeon 5870 card work with the Intel processors? I thought that ATI was made by AMD.. little help please.