Graphics driver crashes

samgri

Hey Hi everyone, i suspect this might be the graphics card giving up but i thought i'd ask before i bought a new one as i'm not the most knowledgeable on this sort of thing.
Basicly i've had the graphics driver crash on me twice in two days, yesterday it was while on firefox with nothing else running, today it was playing homeworld remastered, so i guess it doesnt have much to do with gpu load based on the wildly different tasks.
First time it happened, just had firefox up, really bad graphics artifacts came up, then very quickly went to blue screen where it said that windows had failed to recover the graphics driver or something like that, pc restarted too quickly for me to read anything else. On first restart it started up fine, got to the desktop for a few seconds and then the screen goes black and thats it. Restarted again and theres artifacts all the way through the start up including on the bios screen, this time the desktop is totally screwed but it does stay on, colours are totally out, lot of pink, resolution is different so all the icons are huge and theres no spare space on the desktop. I uninstall the nvidia driver and restart, everything now works fine, i go get the latest nvidia driver (347.52, i hadn't updated it for maybe a year because i'd had problems with a newer patch, so i don't know what i was using before) and restart again and then eveything seems ok (though i don't belive i played a game or did anything taxing after that). I scanned for viruises and malware, found a few minor things and took care of them.
Today, been on the pc for awhile watching things on youtube, started up homeworld remastered, noticed a few weird lines coming off of a few units and then lots of graphics artifacts and back to that blue screen. Things happend exactly the same as yesterday, except after the second restart where the resolution is wrong and the colours were way out i just restarted it again and now things are displaying fine, but i havn't started up a game or anything to see if it'll happen again.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? I don't mind if it turns out i just need to buy a new card, i just thought i'd ask first as i would be annoyed if i bought a new one and then the exact same thing happens.
That said, i was thinking about a new pc anyway...

This is the full spec copied from when i bought it, nothings been changed:

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570K (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£69)
Processor Cooling INTEL SOCKET LGA1155 STANDARD CPU COOLER
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Edit: this is what its doing:
[video=youtube_share;7TfTRtnhG_s]http://youtu.be/7TfTRtnhG_s[/video]

Last edited: