Graphics error - 'Alpha blending...'

Cricky

Enthusiast
Just got my Vortex today and everything was working fine however I installed XCOM through Steam and when I tried to run it I get the following error:

Your video card does not support alpha blending with floating point render targets (D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F) which is required to run this game. Exiting.

I have a Vortex IV (spec in this post) with the HD 8970M. I've looked around for other instances of this error and I've seen suggestions to update drivers, reinstall the game and check that the onboard GPU isn't the issue. The game is a fresh install, I checked the drivers on the AMD site and they're the latest and as far as I can see the 8970 is set in the BIOS.

Anyone else come across this before or know how to resolve it?

Cricky

Enthusiast
Hmmm... I suspect the onboard graphics (Intel HD 4600) might be the problem. Just tried running Prey there and it defaults to the low settings. Tried setting the Switchable Graphics Options in the Catalyst Control panel to Maximum Performance but no joy there. :(

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest uninstalling your current AMD drivers and then downloading the latest beta driver from below (worked with the last switchable issue)

Cricky

Enthusiast
Thanks moosEh that seems to have resolved it! :)

Well XCOM is working at least. I'll install some more games to confirm. ;)