Graphics temp in laptop

PaFos

Hey guys,

Mine goes to 86 and sticks there.

I used precisionX to set the fan to work at 100% at 75 degr but it still goes to 86 and stays there.

Should I be concerned? If anyone can help, would be much appreciated.

That's my laptop setup:
Processor (CPU) Intel® CoreTM i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache
Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair 3000MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
Thermal Paste COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND

barlew

Godlike
86C is not a dramatic temperature for a laptop mate. What happens when the fan profiles are left at automatic?

PaFos

86C is not a dramatic temperature for a laptop mate. What happens when the fan profiles are left at automatic?
Hey,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I can undertand that 86C is not dramatic for a laptop, but 88C is the maximum temp according to NVidia, which gets me a bit worried.
If I leave the fans at auto, it doesn't make any difference It goes again to 85-86 and stays there. That's why I switched it back to auto.
The thing is, that even if the graphics are set on Ultra or at Low, the GPU still works at 85-86.
I tried on other games on Ultra settings, like the witcher 3, and the GPU was at at 76-79.
The only thing that makes sense to me is that it is something from the game (Wolcen) that is tuning the GPU to work on those temperatures.

barlew

Godlike
Hey,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I can undertand that 86C is not dramatic for a laptop, but 88C is the maximum temp according to NVidia, which gets me a bit worried.
If I leave the fans at auto, it doesn't make any difference It goes again to 85-86 and stays there. That's why I switched it back to auto.
The thing is, that even if the graphics are set on Ultra or at Low, the GPU still works at 85-86.
I tried on other games on Ultra settings, like the witcher 3, and the GPU was at at 76-79.
The only thing that makes sense to me is that it is something from the game (Wolcen) that is tuning the GPU to work on those temperatures.

I'm not sure where you got that maximum temperature from but it is not correct. I have an RTX 2070 in my laptop and it sits between mid 80's and low 90's and it will frequently peak in the high 90 range. This is with an under-volt. PCS say this is completely normal and according to them that's coming from nvidia.

PaFos

Seen.

So looking at that mate for me that's for the desktop variant. However that's my opinion as it doesn't appear to differentiate between the two on that page.

Could be the case, because I had a look at 2070 and it has highest temp 89, and you said that you have a 2070 and it peaks at high 90 quite frequently.

barlew

Godlike
Could be the case, because I had a look at 2070 and it has highest temp 89, and you said that you have a 2070 and it peaks at high 90 quite frequently.

Before i put an undervolt on it and depending what the game is it would sit around 95 -99 degrees.

Here is the same page for the mobile RTX but the full specs do not show the thermal specs which is weird.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-me/geforce/gaming-laptops/20-series/

*edit ignore the bit about the undervolt i was talking about my CPU. My GPU frequently sits steady in the 80's but does not increase.

Paddy Baxter

Bronze Level Poster
GPU Thermal limits are different for each laptop. Mine under GPU Z says 87 degrees for the 2070 Super
Also, if you hit the thermal limit, it does no harm to the laptop. All that happens is the GPU will downclock itself to a maintain a safer temp. My Recoil IV was doing this before I undervolted it

PaFos

GPU Thermal limits are different for each laptop. Mine under GPU Z says 87 degrees for the 2070 Super
Also, if you hit the thermal limit, it does no harm to the laptop. All that happens is the GPU will downclock itself to a maintain a safer temp. My Recoil IV was doing this before I undervolted it

"GPU Thermal limits are different for each laptop" - I guess that explains why when we were looking for the highest temps with Barlew, we couldn't find them.

Thanks for the input btw. It was just the first time I saw my GPU hitting those temps and it got me worried that something is up, especially when I saw that happening on a game that is not as "heavy" as others I played.

PaFos

Thanks for the input Paddy. I uess I made a thing out of nothing.
Thank you all guys for getting in the troucle of replying to my post.
Have a great day everyone.