Green hard drives really not worth it?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
thought this was interesting..

[video=youtube;IIH3wg7yqnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIH3wg7yqnw[/video]

Just watch the first few seconds, Quite interesting that they actually save so little money wise, i thought it would be slightly more than that

he goes on to say that if anything you will be losing money because of the longer access times and reduced performance

Rakk

The Awesome
Just watch the first few seconds, Quite interesting that they actually save so little money wise, i thought it would be slightly more than that
Though remember that was a comparison between Seagates drives rather than the Caviar drives, the difference in price may be similar, but may not be.

he goes on to say that if anything you will be losing money because of the longer access times and reduced performance
[/quote]
As a storage device for most people I suspect it will not lose you money, the only way it would lose you money is if its being used for work purposes really and the time waiting was costing money, but even in this case, it would be so little time lost that I'm not sure it'd really make a difference.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i know its only seagate but that must mean its similar with the caviar drives

I know they are mostly used as storage drives but some use it as a main drive and if you are using it for some heavy programs that take forever to load anyway, its not going to help if it takes 30 seconds extra

Rakk

The Awesome
I know they are mostly used as storage drives but some use it as a main drive and if you are using it for some heavy programs that take forever to load anyway, its not going to help if it takes 30 seconds extra

Yes, but all I was saying is that it doesn't make it completely useless :)
Cos yeah, I wouldn't advise one as a primary drive if you have another choice

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yes, as long as its not a first drive there is no problem

remember they are also lower clock speed, i think the Caviar is 5900RPM max like the seagate one

The guy also said that Seagate will be getting rid of their green HDDs because of how little benefit there is from them, instead they will have standard 7200rpm drives and hybrid drives