Grounding Issue?

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Hi, sometimes when I plug my earphones into the front of the corsair 600t case it reboots itself which seems to be due to the static from the plug in not being grounded properly. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Also, (not really a serious problem just a bit annoying) when my HD6870 heats up under heavy load the cool sticker starts to peel off :( would super glue be a good idea to keep it on or is there something else i could use to keep it attached? (doesn't usually rise above 77*C).

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
You can stick the sticker back on with glue if required - I'm surprised this comes off though, the card will more than likely be a reference card straight out of the AMD factory, so not sure why this issue is happening!

Again, the 600T issue shouldn't be happening unless the Corsair case has been manufactured wrong. The only thing to check is the wiring, ensure the header wire has been connected correctly to the motherboard.

PokerFace

Banned
Also, (not really a serious problem just a bit annoying) when my HD6870 heats up under heavy load the cool sticker starts to peel off :( would super glue be a good idea to keep it on or is there something else i could use to keep it attached? (doesn't usually rise above 77*C).

Same thing happened to my HD6870, and it wasn't under much load..so not that hot.

Tom DWC

The sticker started to peel off on my 5870 as well (The RMA'ed one) haven't needed to de-dust yet so dunno about the current one.

PokerFace

Banned

I had the same situation, but not under heavy load.

You can stick the sticker back on with glue if required - I'm surprised this comes off though, the card will more than likely be a reference card straight out of the AMD factory, so not sure why this issue is happening!

When I spoke with support about another matter, I mentioned the sticker hanging 1/2 off from the bottom of my HD6870. I was told that this should have been removed prior to installation and was advised to remove it, which I did.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
:cool:Ok I've applied some super glue and it seems to be staying on now :)
About the microphone port I couldn't really see which cable it was but I've found a lone cable and an extra port on the motherboard, do i need to connect the wire circled in the picture below to the port circled in the picture below? (not really sure what it's for)

static.jpg

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Please follow the cable back and see where it leads to. I can't see it very well from the pic, but it does look like a front panel audio cable. Don't forget though that most cases have two front audio connectors, one for HD and one for analog, and we only connect one, so you probably don't need to worry about this.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
It seems to lead into the top section where the fan controller and other ports are, I can't see directly beneath that part though so I'm not sure which specific thing it's coming from.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about it, it's prob the analog audio connector. If the shorting is still occurring on the HD audio, you could perhaps try swapping them to see if the problem stops?

Gorman

Author Level
:cool:Ok I've applied some super glue and it seems to be staying on now :)
About the microphone port I couldn't really see which cable it was but I've found a lone cable and an extra port on the motherboard, do i need to connect the wire circled in the picture below to the port circled in the picture below? (not really sure what it's for)

View attachment 197

For the love of god no!

That is as PCS suggests the analogue front panel audio connector or AC97, and the port you circled would happily send voltage down it.

Bad burning fire bad.

Any chance of a video detailing the shutdown happening?

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
I'll be away from my PC for the next few days but I'll see if I can replicate the error again when I get back.