GTX 760 or R9 280

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Having trouble deciding which new graphics card I could buy so does anyone have an opinion on either of these cards. They are both similar price but the GTX 760 is slightly more expensive. There are various benefits to both such as Mantle (AMD) and in-home streaming (Nvidia) and benchmarks show that they are both very similar and I'm edging more towards the R9 280 but I can't decide.

Help please?:)

T

TheGeeza

Are these to replace your two 570s? If so I wouldnt upgrade just yet. Those two cards would easily outperform one of these. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Are these to replace your two 570s? If so I wouldnt upgrade just yet. Those two cards would easily outperform one of these. :)

Yeh its to replace them but I don't really like SLI and have been using a single card for a while now, they have decent processing power but the lack of memory and the heat are very annoying. If it weren't for the memory bottleneck I would be able to get high to ultra settings on almost anything but the memory makes me have to put it down to medium and sometimes on low. I suppose it doesn't help that I run 2 monitors which adds to the VRAM usage.

T

TheGeeza

Do you still have the other 570? If so you could sell it and then put that money towards a 280x which would be a good improvement over the 280 and 760.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Do you still have the other 570? If so you could sell it and then put that money towards a 280x which would be a good improvement over the 280 and 760.

Yeh the plan was to sell both of them and then I would only be paying a small amount extra for a cooler, more energy efficient, quieter set up with more VRAM and more processing power to a single card. I'm not interested in going very high end just want something that produces less issues than a dual card system

T

TheGeeza

Yeh the plan was to sell both of them and then I would only be paying a small amount extra for a cooler, more energy efficient, quieter set up with more VRAM and more processing power to a single card. I'm not interested in going very high end just want something that produces less issues than a dual card system

I'd go with the 280. More vram and it outperforms the 760 in most games.

This

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Wozza, the 500 series were known to run exceptionally hot, my 580's did too. I had a considerably heat/noise decrease when i switched to 680's. Even with two of them they are very quiet.

I'd hold off for now, it looks like the 880 is coming out towards the end of the year. This may drop the prices a little and you might be able to bag a 770 at a good price.

oh and aint the amd cards known to run pretty hot and noisy? I've heard that quite a few times.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
oh and aint the amd cards known to run pretty hot and noisy? I've heard that quite a few times.
I have the R9 280X and it runs great,no excessive temps and not noisy at all,although the reference R9 290X cards do have that reputation.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Wozza, the 500 series were known to run exceptionally hot, my 580's did too. I had a considerably heat/noise decrease when i switched to 680's. Even with two of them they are very quiet.

I'd hold off for now, it looks like the 880 is coming out towards the end of the year. This may drop the prices a little and you might be able to bag a 770 at a good price.

Yeh I know they run hot, especially after a bit of use because at first they weren't too bad. I get 90s nearing on 100 when I use both on a very demanding game.

I'm not bothered about the new generations, from my experience on the last couple of generation changes they tend to increase the price of the new ones and keep the old ones at almost the same price.

And on the topic of the heat and noise of the R9 280, I've looked at reviews and it doesn't seem too bad, one review had it at 55% fan speed throughout their benchmarks and stuff which is pretty quiet and that was with the cheapest XFX model that is £30 cheaper than all of the others (and probably the one I will get)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Think it will definitely be the R9 280 then. Just got to decide whether to get the overclocked version. Actually seems to provide a pretty decent boost in performance in comparison to most overclocks I've seen but I could also overclock it myself to the exact same with not much risk.

T

TheGeeza

I would go for the overclocked version.
There is no promise that you will even be able to reach the same over clock as it if you do it yourself due to instability. With the other one you are guaranteed that the over clock will work.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I would go for the overclocked version.
There is no promise that you will even be able to reach the same over clock as it if you do it yourself due to instability. With the other one you are guaranteed that the over clock will work.

Well I thought it would be fairly easy as the overclocked version uses what looks to be the exact same cooling as the standard one.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Well I thought it would be fairly easy as the overclocked version uses what looks to be the exact same cooling as the standard one.

the standard card might have a slightly different bios than the factory overclocked card.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Ordered an R9 280 finally, standard version as pretty big overclocks are very easy and more or less no issues. Should be here Tuesday, anyone interested in a GTX 570 btw :p

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Any recommendations on what to do for installation in terms of software. I was just going to uninstall the Nvidia drivers and any other Nvidia related software and download the AMD drivers on to a memory stick ready (incase there isn't a disc with it)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
And after some hiccups with video playback and WEI (beta driver fixed it), I've finally got it running great. Even a nice overclock:

Core: 933 -> 1080MHz
Memory: 5GHz -> 5.6GHz
Max Temp: 73c (15 mins on Kombustor)
Noise: Quieter than before :p

tom_gr7

Life Serving
and after some hiccups with video playback and wei (beta driver fixed it), i've finally got it running great. Even a nice overclock:

Core: 933 -> 1080mhz
memory: 5ghz -> 5.6ghz
max temp: 73c (15 mins on kombustor)
noise: Quieter than before :p

pics :)