GTX 770 + Bitfenix Prodigy

ChrisJeff

Hey guys,

Received my build from PCS a few days ago and I must say I'm impressed with everything about them so far! However I've got a slight problem, the Bitfenix Prodigy is fitted with a GTX 770 (It's the 4gb version, Palit jetstream), I'm guessing maybe this GPU is a little too big but it seems like it presses on the side of the case and makes a horrible noise.

I've done other things to isolate the problem and if the GPU fan is spinning at like 50%+ I need to take both screws out of the side of the case and let the case relax outwards a little bit. If both screws are in and the side is on properly it sometimes hits the side of it. However when plugged into the DVI slot (to the right, if facing it) if the cable moves a little bit, it will start making that noise, so I have to use the DVI port to the left of that which is no problem.

So a little upset about this as the noise is horrible and it sounds like it could be doing damage (A really loud grating noise).

I can't say I know anything about hardware as I'm a software guy so I didn't really want to fiddle around with it. It could be an easy fix or the GPU is not seated properly so I thought I'd pop here before contacting PCS.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Tachikoma

Try some of those double sided sticky foam pads, but obviously leave the paper on the one side and stick it to the case where the GPU is resting against it. Should absorb a lot of the vibration.

ChrisJeff

@Tachikoma - I'm not sure what that would achieve as the fans are catching the case in two places. The GPU is definitely a larger profile than what the case can fit to be honest and it's that close only taking the side off completely fixes it.

@Tom_gr7 I've gone ahead and threw them an email with pictures and explaining my problem. Probably the best way to do it than try and bodge a fix myself (If it's even possible due to it having a large profile).

Thanks for the input though guys, appreciated.

ChrisJeff

See attached images. That's one of the collision points with the fan and the rear side of the case (The left of the picture) and also the fan on the middle of the card seems to click against the case when the side is on.

I think it could really just come down to the profile on this GPU being more outward, especially the fans too than other 770s to be honest. As it's not really flush.

2013-12-13 17.59.39.jpg2013-12-13 17.59.44.jpg2013-12-13 18.00.24.jpg

tom_gr7

Life Serving
damn mate, that's a shame. I'd probably give PCS a call you will get a faster reply.

I would have thought that would have been spotted whilst being built to be honest.

ChrisJeff

Yeah I called them and explained everything then was told to throw an email to enquiries@ with some pictures. Yeah huge shame as I think it's a nice looking card and seems to be getting great airflow, just doesn't really fit!

Me to too be honest, as soon as I powered up the PC it was grinding against the side, well before I played a few games which increased the fan speed and the noise.

mikerh

yes there are,its designed to keep dust at bay and closed properly will allow the fans to work as designed by case makers ,thats my opinion :)

PaulH

Bright Spark
To be quite honest, that is horrendous and I cannot believe this was not picked up in QC - Now we need a solution, sadly, because of the Jetstream card, it obviously will not fit, we need to get you a replacement card that will - would you want a standard version of the 770? If you would like to PM me your order number etc I will see what I can sort for you :)

Please accept our apologies on this.