Gtx 980m

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
For a mobile solution its still a great card but i cannot find any evidence that the GTX mobile range are hitting anywhere near the performance of their Desktop counterparts.

mrducking

Bright Spark
i wonder if the 900m SLI is totally optimized, im guessing there is still more juice to get from them in SLI yet, being as new as they are

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
They might get a little more but they are always releasing new drivers to optimise the mobile, desktop and the SLI profiles.

There is a big gap between the Mobis and the Deskies in my opinion i can't imagine these cards ever being close in comparison though with the 44% difference between 2 off GTX 970m struggling to compete against a single GTX 970.

mrducking

Bright Spark
well for starters, both have completely different power requirements, and lets face it, power comsuption is still proportional to performance, and the gtx 970 is 165W while the gtx 970m is 75W, thats a HUGE difference
the gap is closing but there is a long way to go yet

EDIT: im not sure if the gtx970m is 75W or 100W

ELL4EVER

Bronze Level Poster
I'm not suggesting that a single 980m will outperform a single desktop 980 but anyone who followed the release of the 800m series and now the 900m series will be able to see the performance boost clearly.

I can't use a desktop where I currently live, I won't go into the details of my current situation but a gaming laptop is perfect for me and the weight is barely an issue, my old laptop was a weighty beast anyway. But I won't be buying the omega 2, the two power bricks would be annoying to carry around with the laptop. Also I'll wait until I've moved out to buy a desktop and 4k monitor set up :p

TomB

For those still considering, a guideline date for the 900m series to come in stock is estimated at being around 10th November, according to the PCS sales rep. I've ordered the vortex IV elite with 970m in sli and asked the question before ordering it via fast track. Obviously if there is a wait on parts then fast track becomes pointless, so I didn't bother. Btw here's some more info, for those yet to make up their minds -
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-maxwell-mobile-gtx-970m-gtx-980m,27833.html

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I agree with Keynes, historically upgrades for these machine have not been available, they are dependant on Clevo providing updated motherboard BIOS and GPU Bios etc to go with the new equipment something i have yet to see happen. PCS will not offer upgrades on equipment that they have not tested so they might be able to tell you if they tried it or not.

The only upgrade i have seen available for the Vortex series was the vortex 2 which allowed you to upgrade to the HD7970 range but not the new nvidia gpus.

Although its the same chassis it may be a modified/newer or variant motherboard etc.

There are people how have got upgrades working however this has involved flashing the GPU with modified BOIS from other machines, one using a DEL bios on a Clevo card but the user had voltage problems so its not something i would recommend at all

Danny boy

Bronze Level Poster
I have ordered the sli 980m finally eye watering specifications beat my last build which was a desktop by 33%.

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4910MQ (2.90GHz) 8MB
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X IMPACT 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
2 x NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M - 8.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
1st Hard Disk
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
2TB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
6x BLURAY WRITER, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
USB Options
4 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
2 x Vortex Elite SE Series 8 Cell Battery (89.21WH) (One Spare)
Power Cable
2 x UK Power Lead & 330W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 8.1 (64-bit) Professional DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Browser
Microsoft® Internet Explorer
Laptop Cooling Stands
Zalman ZM-NC11 Ultra-Quiet Laptop Cooler, upto 17.3 inch
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Surge Protection
MasterPlug SRG62 6 Socket 2m Surge Protector
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days
Quantity

Danny boy

Bronze Level Poster
Crikey that's a powerful build, how are the temps and noise when playing?

Will find out once they have built it I've drawn up a table of comparisons so you can see where the 980m sli sits in 3d mark benchmarks. If you view my chart you will see my AMD 8350 desktop is being trumped by all the systems dramatically bar one and the rest are laptop configs. Hopefully this will help people decide what they want.

cpu and gpu benchmarks_Page_1.png

Last edited:

ELL4EVER

Bronze Level Poster
I'm probably going to get a similar build but I'm going for the I7 4810mq instead of the I7 4910mq and I'll be using a different hard drive setup.

Danny boy

Bronze Level Poster
I'm probably going to get a similar build but I'm going for the I7 4810mq instead of the I7 4910mq and I'll be using a different hard drive setup.

Cool heres a better file version of my chart. There was some problems with the SSD but its been rectified now, there is a better, wasn't sure about mSATA whether that would improve the performance or not considering the primary HD would be a SSD.

View attachment cpu and gpu benchmarks.pdf

Last edited:

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
£2700+ to game on a 17" 1080p screen still seems crazy to me but each to their own.

You could get a 4k gaming desktop and a 30" 4k monitor for less than that. Didn't tempt you in the slightest?

Danny boy

Bronze Level Poster
£2700+ to game on a 17" 1080p screen still seems crazy to me but each to their own.

You could get a 4k gaming desktop and a 30" 4k monitor for less than that. Didn't tempt you in the slightest?

Not at all, because I am travelling a lot in the next year or so but wanted a decent portable system. Lifestyle I guess is what motivated me to buy an expensive laptop, would of been nice to buy a decent desktop rig but it wouldn't take well being taken on and off planes.