gtx460 gtx465

Sleinous

Author Level
465 has 30 odd more CUDA cores, better for photo/video apps, 460 has higher clock, shader aand mem controller frequency, theoretically better for gaming. Id still go for 465 though :) Its based on the gf104 set i think, uses less power and produces slightly less heat

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
I mean in terms of its reference design. Yes the 460 uses less. But, if a gf100 was used in the 465 it would use more than the new gf104 :)

Sleinous

Author Level
So basically what we need to know is what you want to use your computer for. Gaming or Photo/Video editing? Bearing in mind if youre doing high-end video editing, it'll be better that you use a Quadro card.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Prices are pretty similar so that is not the issue, just which will be better for Gaming or is the difference negligible?

Sleinous

Author Level
hah thought the 465 had it too, clearly not :( Knew the 470 and 480 didnt. Apparently there is news that all 400 series may incorporate the gf104 soon.

Nemesis

you may want to check this but i've been given the imprresion that the gtx460 is better for gaming but the gtx465 is better for Photo Editing/Video...etc due to the extra CUDA cores..

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
The 460 for me then save a couple of quid at it as well, thanks. How does the Palit (the one from pcs) compare with other brands? Read somewhere the MSI hawk edition is pretty good.

Sleinous

Author Level
The Palit is a robust card tbh.

Advantage with the 465/470 now is you get a the all new twin fan design (not the older reference design with just one blower fan). Its actually much quieter (have owned both now) and same price, you also get a standard HDMI port instead of the miniHDMI on the old GPU, usual 2x DVIs and a DisplayPort.

The only thing theyre downgraded is the voltage regulation circuitry, which, according to tests hasnt made any difference to overclocking, but in theory SHOULD make an overclock ever so slightly less stable. I dont mind as I never oc my GPUs.

Sleinous

Author Level
Does the Palit 460 come with twin fans?

Nope i'm afraid not. Only the 465/470

GTX 460

p01338_bigimage_18744c3a738dca407.jpg

GTX 465 Design 1

p01330_bigimage_16934bfcf55537dec.jpg

(Only difference between aboev two is (I think) that the two fans are a little further apart).

GTX 465 Design 2

p01330_bigimage_7534ca5951cccfae.jpg

Last edited: