GTX590 High Temps

Dan9110

Bronze Level Poster
I've been looking around the interwebs about my GTX590 having high temps, and there's a mixture of different answers about the issue, some saying its a faulty GPU others saying its cooling etc, but i don't really know what to do about. When idle'ing with the fan speed at about 45% (using EVGA Precision X) the temps are about 40'c and 45'c which i suppose isnt too bad, but when playing a game they shoot up with a fan speed of 95% to between 95'c and 100'c which scares me slightly. I know its been hot recently which probably isn't helping but, Im not sure if this is correct temps or is there something wrong? Thanks.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
ok what fan setup do you have on the case?

The first thing I'd do, give ya case a full clean, if you have some compressed air great.

I'd take out the 590, and use some cotton buds for the back of fan blades.

try to remove all the filters on the case, give them a wash/rinse.

basically de dust as much of the case as you can. wipe the dust of the case fans/gpu fans.

that should help, also how many case fans do you have on the system?

iBushay

Bronze Level Poster
I've been looking around the interwebs about my GTX590 having high temps, and there's a mixture of different answers about the issue, some saying its a faulty GPU others saying its cooling etc, but i don't really know what to do about. When idle'ing with the fan speed at about 45% (using EVGA Precision X) the temps are about 40'c and 45'c which i suppose isnt too bad, but when playing a game they shoot up with a fan speed of 95% to between 95'c and 100'c which scares me slightly. I know its been hot recently which probably isn't helping but, Im not sure if this is correct temps or is there something wrong? Thanks.

GPU's can get up to pretty high temperatures under stress, and are designed to reach 90+ degrees, although with proper cooling it probably shouldn't get that hot.

It seems to me that your fan speed is also quite high, 95% would sound like your computer is about to take off, try using different software to check the levels and see if you get the same results?

What other cooling do you have in your system?

steaky360

Just for info, my 690's regularly get to 70/80 degrees if they're under load (folding etc.)

As far as the GPU fans are concerned they should be linked to the stress going through the card (or the temperature of the card). Also the 590 is similar to the 690 in that part of the exhaust goes back into the case, it is crucial you are pumping cooler air from outside the case in to keep the GPU cool (and the rest of your components).

Following tom/iBushay's advice should help you get things under control a bit.