Happiness to Disappointment (Yet Again!)

MRCC

The repair to my computer (not yet 2 weeks old) has not worked.

The computer just stops displaying anything on the monitor. The monitor screen advises that nothing is being received. Within the PC, the fans and main motherboard lights remains on. This being the identical fault conditions that the PC was returned for repair in the first instance. The motherboard and processor were changed.

If I leave the computer switched off for some time and then try to switch it back on, the computer may intermittently boot up (it does not happen every time), however it remains working for a short time and then goes dead again.

Additional to the above, now every time it re-boots it asks for the CMOS time to be updated. I have done this over four times corrected and saved it.

After the last un-commanded automatic shutdown, I attempted to restart the computer. This time having gone through the now necessary CMOS time correction, however, it now told me that Windows needed repairing! I allowed it to automatically attempt to repair – no joy. I was now left with the message to contact the administrator or manufacturer.

I have to say that I now have absolutely no confidence in the reliability of this equipment. As I am sure many of you can appreciate, it is very concerning if the equipment that you have, may or may not work correctly when switching on. A PC is an absolutely essential neccesity for to me to get through daily routines. As the machine is now only some ten days old, of which four of those days were a Bank Holiday so nothing could be progressed, I now believe that I have to return the equipment and request a refund, which is what I will be doing first thing tomorrow morning.

Whilst the above may sound a bit harsh, my personal medical circumstances are a bit unique and it is essential that I have a reliable working computer to routinely get on with life as best as I can. Hint – my handle on these forums MRCC (Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma – a vicious terminal cancer).

I really had thought that I had found a computer supplier that would provide me with a reliable PC which I could have confidence in. I have enjoyed my time posting on these forums and may I wish you all - good reliable computing.

Many thanks

Ian

Maestro

Sorry to hear that MRCC. Given that the motherboard was replaced as well as the processor as a precaution and the pc underwent a long period of testing together with a reboot sequence it is very strange to hear that the same problem now occurs, in your enviroment. What peripheral devices are you connecting to the machine especially usb ones, because it could certainly be the case that the mobo is being damaged by by an external faulty usb device, especially as the pc worked initially when recieved. To get the exact same fault, where the pc works during testing and works initially with you, does raise the possibility that something is causing the mobo to fail. While this could certainly be another item inside the pc, it is certainly possible that an external device is causing the issues.
Anyhow we aim to please, and most of the time we do. Sometimes the only option is to put the machine giving problems to one side and start again. Given that you supplied your own case, we would need this, but we would be happy to build a new pc for you on a fast track basis. The decision is yours but i am fairly confident we will be able to restore your faith.

steveuk87

Super Star
sorry to hear about your problems MRCC and your health also, i've had a few freinds and family who have had brushes with the big C and its not a nice time at all so you have my complete sympothy! also with the PC mine got sent back twice and the second time had to be rebuilt, unfortuntly buying a custom PC does coem with its downfalls, and not everyone realises this, as the parts are not always compatible and some time time takes hold quicker than if other componants where together.. but after saying this PCS are a very good company and i beleive them when they say they know what they arte talking about and i will continue to use them for the future time. I hope you stick with them mate, as i'm sure they can help, but i understand if you go elsewhere also.

Nice talking to you mate.

Take Care

Steve

Sweeney47

That is the problem, PC's are very complicated things, its not just a computer... it has loads of different components and hardware. The hardware is made by all different companies with different tech so the chances of incompatability are huge. Combine with that external hardware like keyboards, mice, cameras, printers, routers, modems etc etc there is even more chance of incompatability and failure, then add to that drivers and other software which can cause issues and incompatability. Then add to that electricity with chance of fluctuations and surges. If at any one of those points something fails, the system doesn't work... Its pretty amazing any PC's work yet alone custom :D

This is ofcourse covered by warranties of which PCS is possibly the best I've seen certainly for the price.

Best of Luck MRCC.

Sleinous

Author Level
CMOS date/time entry could very well be caused by a bad CMOS battery as this is what would happen in that case.

Best of luck to you!

Slein

LDUK

Master Poster
Oh dear that sucks. I hope you get it sorted soon and have a PC that lasts for you :)

MRCC

Sorry to hear that MRCC. Given that the motherboard was replaced as well as the processor as a precaution and the pc underwent a long period of testing together with a reboot sequence it is very strange to hear that the same problem now occurs, in your enviroment. What peripheral devices are you connecting to the machine especially usb ones, because it could certainly be the case that the mobo is being damaged by by an external faulty usb device, especially as the pc worked initially when recieved. To get the exact same fault, where the pc works during testing and works initially with you, does raise the possibility that something is causing the mobo to fail. While this could certainly be another item inside the pc, it is certainly possible that an external device is causing the issues.
Anyhow we aim to please, and most of the time we do. Sometimes the only option is to put the machine giving problems to one side and start again. Given that you supplied your own case, we would need this, but we would be happy to build a new pc for you on a fast track basis. The decision is yours but i am fairly confident we will be able to restore your faith.

Maestro, many thanks for your input as to what is possibly causing the problem(s).

Whilst I apprecite what you are saying about external devices, I have not used any apart from:

1) USB SanDisk Stick. This is not new and works on my ‘old’ PC and has also been used by other family members on their equipment and has not caused them any problems.

2) USB Logitech Keyboard – used on other computer without problems.

3) Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse with USB Receiver – again used on other computer without problems.

This is why I believe that it is not anything that I am doing or connecting to it. This therefore leaves me to conclude that it has to be something else within the components of the PC that is causing the problem. Either faulty or conflicting.

Without replacing EVERY SINGLE component and starting totally from scratch and more importantly FULLY TESTING the build (see my various posts and also unanswered mail to PCS about this – your consideration of ‘long period of testing’ could possibly need reviewing), there is no sureity that the problem has been resolved.

I will contact PCS by telephone first thing tomorrow morning and discuss the matter. I do appreciate your offer of a starting again. However given my current medical circumstances, I am not sure if that is going to be the most appropriate solution or even possible. However, very many thanks for this offer as well as the fast track build.

Ian

Maestro

Hi again MRCC. The response is noted. With regard to testing, all computers before dispatch have to undergo an overnight stay in the burn-in room. Whilst in there they are subject to a 100% stress test and 100 reboot sequence. The software (Winstress) is provided by Ultra-x and costs a pretty penny. Also prior to being installed the pc is subject to a set of hardware tests, also provided by ultra-x call Quicktech pro. So, whilst it is impossible to guarantee that faults will not occur, the pc is tested once built, it is then installed and then stressed using memory, 2d/3d graphics, hdd, processor, mainboard individual tests before a 100 reboot sequence in a hot room. There really isnt much more that we can do in order to ensure as best we can that pcs are dispatched fully functional. If any of these tests fail the offending part is replaced and they are tested again.
However, it is unfortunately the very nature of electircal components which means failures will occur. And the vast majority of these failures occur within the first month of recieving a new pc, because despite how much we do test, this is when the components are really used over prolonged periods and doing intensive tasking.
As a matter of interest, could you possible tell me where you directed your mail to. If it was [email protected], please remember this gets 1000's of emails, is generally for sale / new enquiries, not tech support, and has a very strong junk/spam filter.
If you require quick response, then you can log into your account and direct a webmail to the specific department concerned. This will be logged in your account area and is guaranteed a response.

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Just in case MRCC does not respond, I can confirm that we resolved the problems, and it is always in our best intentions to do so.

It was dispatched back to MRCC on the 9th after a full re-build as agreed :)

MRCC

I had intended not posting on this thread until hopefully a satisfactory outcome had been achieved. I am sorry to say this has still not happened. As I have been asked specifically about this . . . . .

Did this get resolved MRCC?

I feel that I do have to do a somewhat guarded response to update the thread as there are still outstanding issues which I am hoping get resolved.

Regarding this posting from Maestro . . . . .

Hi again MRCC. The response is noted. With regard to testing, all computers before dispatch have to undergo an overnight stay in the burn-in room. Whilst in there they are subject to a 100% stress test and 100 reboot sequence. The software (Winstress) is provided by Ultra-x and costs a pretty penny. Also prior to being installed the pc is subject to a set of hardware tests, also provided by ultra-x call Quicktech pro. So, whilst it is impossible to guarantee that faults will not occur, the pc is tested once built, it is then installed and then stressed using memory, 2d/3d graphics, hdd, processor, mainboard individual tests before a 100 reboot sequence in a hot room. There really isnt much more that we can do in order to ensure as best we can that pcs are dispatched fully functional. If any of these tests fail the offending part is replaced and they are tested again.
However, it is unfortunately the very nature of electircal components which means failures will occur. And the vast majority of these failures occur within the first month of recieving a new pc, because despite how much we do test, this is when the components are really used over prolonged periods and doing intensive tasking.
As a matter of interest, could you possible tell me where you directed your mail to. If it was [email protected], please remember this gets 1000's of emails, is generally for sale / new enquiries, not tech support, and has a very strong junk/spam filter.
If you require quick response, then you can log into your account and direct a webmail to the specific department concerned. This will be logged in your account area and is guaranteed a response.

I am specifically asked “As a matter of interest, could you possible tell me where you directed your mail to. If it was [email protected], please remember this gets 1000's of emails, is generally for sale / new enquiries, not tech support, and has a very strong junk/spam filter.

If you require quick response, then you can log into your account and direct a webmail to the specific department concerned. This will be logged in your account area and is guaranteed a response.”

As suggested above I DID use the webmail system and sent a message on the 30 August (that is some 6 days before this thread was even started). It is still on my account as ‘sent message’. I have not received any reply or response to this message at all . In this posting Maestro is quite assuring that this procedure will provide a guaranteed response. In my case it did not and still has not even some two weeks later.

I did also sent a personal email about this to Maestro using this forum after their posting. Again I have not had any response.

In response to
Did this get resolved MRCC?

a posting was placed . . .

Just in case MRCC does not respond, I can confirm that we resolved the problems, and it is always in our best intentions to do so.

It was dispatched back to MRCC on the 9th after a full re-build as agreed :)

As this posting was placed on Sunday 12 September, I can only assume the poster was aware of the situation only as at the end of play on Friday 9th September.

On first switching on this full re-build on the evening of Friday 9th, there were actually configurations not completed on the computer. Fortunately these were fairly minor and able to be sorted out on Saturday morning after dealing with the Technical Support. Whom I have to say in light of my now rapidly growing experience of them, are exceptionally good and helpful.

There is even yet a further on-going complication and or fault with the computer (again this is how the re-build PC came back to me). Today I have had to deal with the Technical Support guys twice. The decision is that the machine has to go back yet again.

I have to say that I have a dilemma.

My brain is telling me to return the machine and get a refund and start again with someone else. Yet . . . . . . my heart tells me that I should stick with PCS. The reason for this is that I have to say that they have been absolutely excellent to deal with at every level and they have not at any stage in this somewhat growing saga tried to shirk from their responsibilities or genuinely appearing to keep me on board as a truly satisfied customer. This attitude is so refreshing in today’s modern society. I just hope that this can be achieved.

Ian

Maestro

Hello MRCC. I have been made aware of the issue you reported today, and have spoken with the technician who rebuilt your pc. I think it ruined his day as he spent a lot of time, sorting out your return but obviously fell at the last hurdle. He is perplexed about the bios, as this certainly wasnt problematic on the new pc. He does however hold his hands up with regard to the initialization of the second and third discs. We test the hardware prior to install using a pxe boot program called ultra-x quicktech, so while it was only a minor setting, it should have been done. Your internal email sent on the 30th was archived in error, and is the reason no response was given. The system does record the name of the person responsible for the archiving, so I will be having words tomorrow.
I can thus far only thankyou for being so rational and gracious in your praise of the tech staff (i think most people would understand if this was not the case given the issues to date), and can oly assure you once again that on its return your pc will be treated with the highest possible priority. I will even ask GORMAN whom I am sure you have seen on here ( a bit of a tech sage), to QC your pc before it is dispatched back. Please accept my apologies for the issues to date, and keep the faith, that we will be able to restore your trust in our ability to provide you with a great pc.

Last edited: